Re-attaching rear view mirror

mzwolfie

Reaction score
My 2008 Audi a4 Quattro cab rear view mirror came off & dangled by the wires. It is the Automatic Anti-glare/Interior Mirror With Compass. The unit came off the windshield intact. Nothing was left on the windshield but the bead of gel-like glue. Stealership wants to replace windshield with mirror for over $600. Says the mirror/base is part of the windshield. Warned that mirror could not be glued back and be guaranteed to stay on. Has anyone successfully reattached their mirror? Thanks much!

Same thing happened in my old a3. Local windscreen company used their 'best' glue and bonded it back on. The gel pad is for the rain sensor so needs to be kept safe and free from dirt.

Visit one of you local windscreen companies. They re-fit these every time they replace a screen and have the right tools and bonding products to make sure it doesn't come off again.

I have had a couple of mirrors come off in the past and nothing you can buy over the counter works but the local windscreen fitters did them perfectly and the mirrors never fell off again. If I remember correctly I paid minimal cost for one and no cost for the other.

Thanks all! Safelite Auto Glass glued it back on a week ago & so far, so good.