Egr or turbo vacuum solenoid problem.

Deeming77

Reaction score
Hi. I recently did an egr delete kit on my 1.9 tdi 130 . After realising it was more trouble than its worth with pipes coming off and warning lights coming on. I decided to take it off.
just before this though I had major boost problems, with constantly having to have the code reader plugged in while driving to clear the fault codes to get it out of limp mode.
then when it was it filled the road behind me with black smoke. :(
when I cleaned and put back the egr valve, the black flap actuator on the side kept closing the egr and stalling the car immediately.
So I had a couple of the hoses swapped round, brake servo vacuum and solenoid pipe, as they were identical thinking I'd mixed them up. Now it starts and runs, but if I leave the vacuum pipe attached to the black actuator on the side of the egr, eventually it stalls the car.
but if I leave it off, when the car is warm and I go to restart it, it shakes like a tractor!
I thinking by blanking the vacuum hoses off I've broken one of the solenoids. But which one, as its a maze of t connectors.
any ideas people?
Cheers

Sounds to me like you have a vacuum pipe in the wrong place. It's the anti shudder valve on the side of the EGR which should be left on even with EGR delete. The ASV should only get vacuum on turning the engine off as it closes the EGR butterfly to stop airflow. The purpose of the ASV is to stop the engine shuddering when turning off, & to prevent against turbo runaway.
There are 2 vacuum solenoids down in the maze of pipes . Easiest way to get good access to that area is to remove the large plastic air feed to the air filter coming from the front next to the bonnet latch.

Forgot to say the ASV actuator arm should be fully extended (EGR butterfly flap open) when the engine is running.

Forgot to say the ASV actuator arm should be fully extended (EGR butterfly flap open) when the engine is running.
Cheers for that. There are two vacuum pipes iidentical . One to the brake servo, one to the asv. When it's swapped round the engine won't run at all, shutting the asv off soon as the engine starts, stalling the engine.
Whereas the other way round after a bit, while driving the car will stall ,looking at the egr, the asv is closed?

Im wondering if one of the solenoid has gone, and which one would it likely to be?

In the engine module VCDS can do an instrument test which cycles the valves.
With the bonnet open & reaching through the drivers window you can turn the engine off & watch the ASV operate. When you turn the engine off the ASV should close the valve & then release after a second or 2. (Vacuum to the ASV is only momentary on shut down).

The ASV mechanics are plastic and can break easily...worth a check