tyre stretch on a quattro

dale86

Reaction score
Now then peeps here it goes itl be a proper mind boggler so hope u can keep track lol. Right then I want to fit my nicely refurbed b5 s4:caliper set up on my b6 quattro BUT here are the issues I need to space my rims out 12mm to make et35 but to do this I also need to run stretch as im on 19s and tucking tire up front my arch is comfortably half way down the tyre and does not do full lock anymore. Are you still with me lol so I am willing to replace my front tyres which aint nowt wrong with for some strech but Im unsure on what kind of strech people run and also if I go strech up front and not rear (for now until I can afford another pair of tyres) will I affect the rolling radius enough to damage the quattro system. Hmm I told you it was a right mare of a situation lol thanks in advance.

Any help on this would be appreciated ive never ran stretch but im assuming that stretching tyres will lower the profile of a tyre !!!!!!

The rolling radius will still be the same, you will be pulling the side walls into the middle while maintaining the rolling radius.

The rolling radius will still be the same, you will be pulling the side walls into the middle while maintaining the rolling radius.

Surely by running the sidewall stretched (ie at an angle) the profile will appear lower than if you ran that same tyre normally, (ie with the sidewall perpendicular to the rim)? And the effect of that would be to reduce the rolling radius.

Surely by running the sidewall stretched (ie at an angle) the profile will appear lower than if you ran that same tyre normally, (ie with the sidewall perpendicular to the rim)? And the effect of that would be to reduce the rolling radius.

yeah but the rolling radius in the middle of tyre is still the same. But if you are rolling on the oustide of the tyres then yes the radius wld differ

Im kind of swaying towards what quattrojames said if your pulling the sidewalls out over its going to lower the centre of the tyre isn't it hmmm. This is a right ball ache just for a set of callipers lol. I appreciate all info guys so keep it coming I'd rather be sure than trash my diff and box .

If it helps I run 235/35-19's all round on my staggered BBS LM replicas on my Quattro and have been for the last 12 months with no issues with the drive train.

Thats what I run at the moment but et 45 and 8.5j I think but if I go around a corner on not even full lock I get tyre into arch scenario what about you mate.

Dont mean to throw a spanner in the works here, but I was advised that the B5 S4 Lucas brakes arent much of an upgrade.
I was going to do this - but went along with B6 S4 brakes in the end - they are single pot brakes and 345mm discs, the difference was night and day in comparison to the standard 312mm setup - they bolt right on too with no spacers needed.

Yeah ive heard this about the b5 s4 stoppers but its not so much the stopping im after but looks as its only a humble diesel with a remap and I cant really turn back now as theyve been fully powdercoated and rebuilt lol.

Run 215/40 or 205/40 if you need a lot of stretch.