Volks AutosChris Nott
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Audi Doodah
  • 1 Post By NHN

Thread: OEM STEREO Options

2nd Gear

Status

OEM STEREO Options

I have given up on the aftermarket headunit. So was looking at the oem option. Ideally sat nav? Does it have an sd card to play music from and does
    this work based on folders being music albums? I think I have the gps anthenna in the car already there is 2 wires in the car. Not sure where the anthenna is located.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    RNS-E
    if you have double din already ts more or less plug an play
    yes 2 sd card slots
    you wont have gps unless it had nav before

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    We can supply/fit an rns-e if interested, ping us a PM & we can advise of your options

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

2nd Gear

Status
    Oh dear, you still haven't found the search button....RNS-E DVD Navigation Plus Quick Links | Audi Forum (taken from the FAQ section in the stickies)

RNS-E can play music from SD but it does have it's limitations http://www.allroadfaq.com/downloads/...se_manual_.pdf Doubt you have the GPS antenna with no RNS fitted...likely that the two wires are the FM aerial and booster lines.

If all you want is loads of music, the Grom device I linked to in your other thread plugs straight in to the existing headunit (CD changer connection and can play via USB, HDD, Bluetooth, Android, iPod, and AUX.
    A4 Avant 1.9 TDi Sport GmbH

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    We can supply/fit an rns-e if interested, ping us a PM & we can advise of your options
    Like a tramp on chips!

2nd Gear

Status
    Knew I had it somewhere...Audi Radios

2nd Gear

Status
    Lol thanks. I have vcds so can turn it on. The link you provided does it only provide a virtual cd for iPod playlists. Search function on tapatalk is not the best.

2nd Gear

Status
    No the previous owner had it installed originally but left the anthenna in car.

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    has it got a bluk fakra ?

2nd Gear

Status
    Lol bez what's that?

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    the wire you have for the gps
    does it have a blue plug ?

2nd Gear

Status
    The Grom pretends to be a six disc (audi limit) cd changer. I use a USB stick with 6 folders on it with approx 5000 tracks in total and just have it playing on random. Don't have an ipod myself but I believe the device has a dedicated ipod connection so plays whatever you select from the ipod
    moggs likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Been looking into this grom kit. It's expensive bit of kit.

2nd Gear

Status
    Hi bez yes there is 2 connections. One is round and the other is rectangle/square.

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    why dont you just the the correct loom and fit your aftermarket

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vwgtiking View Post
    Been looking into this grom kit. It's expensive bit of kit.
    Cheaper than an aftermarket headunit perhaps and DEFINITELY cheaper than an RNS-E unit. You can get vanilla AUX IN boxes which work on the same principle as the Grom. Connects2 is one such manufacturer.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    why dont you just the the correct loom and fit your aftermarket
    My aftermarket headunit sticks out, need to wire a live ign, no illumination and for some reason I get 1 radio station. The oem one just sits flush. And wondering a) if I get a decent iPod control function or b) rnse with memory cards.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Audi Doodah View Post
    Cheaper than an aftermarket headunit perhaps and DEFINITELY cheaper than an RNS-E unit. You can get vanilla AUX IN boxes which work on the same principle as the Grom. Connects2 is one such manufacturer.
    Denison gateway 100 any good? The grom you have to spend a further £20 on iPod cable on top of £99 for the USB version.

2nd Gear

Status
    Denison gateway 100 any good? The grom you have to spend a further £20 on iPod cable on top of £99 for the USB version.
    All pretty much the same from what I've researched. I agree, Grom are sneaky with their extra lead charges but I managed to find a second hand one cheap on ebay. Bare in mind, an RNS-E will cost you £400+ (sorry NHN!)

2nd Gear

Status
    Yeah I may get this grom kit and sell my aftermarket headunit. If anyone interested its a pioneer avh p4200 dvd

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    send me pics and price
    leebez666@aol.com

2nd Gear

Status
    Will I keep my 6 disc cd changer which is built in if I use these kits?

Neutral

Status
    Did with mine. Basically when you press the CD button twice it selects what it sees as a CD changer, which in my case is a connects2 aux in. The connects2 is effectively a CD changer emulator.
    After 3 BMWs in over 13 years, I'm giving Audi a go.

2nd Gear

Status
    Yep, it connects to the EXTERNAL CD changer port and like BoutTime says, pressing CD switches between internal changer and external CD emulator, ie Grom, Denison, etc.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    All pretty much the same from what I've researched. I agree, Grom are sneaky with their extra lead charges but I managed to find a second hand one cheap on ebay. Bare in mind, an RNS-E will cost you £400+ (sorry NHN!)
    Yes but with the rns you get an oem fitment, oem seamless integration, no leads, no cradles, sd card or sdhc compatibility, (version dependent) sat nav, phone integration (if fitted) it just works & yes its has its cost, but the OP already is fedup with aftermarket systems, so my advice is fit something that works & does what you need it to do & integrates properly with the car.

(Tramp still on chips) :P

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Yes but with the rns you get an oem fitment, oem seamless integration, no leads, no cradles, sd card or sdhc compatibility, (version dependent) sat nav, phone integration (if fitted) it just works & yes its has its cost, but the OP already is fedup with aftermarket systems, so my advice is fit something that works & does what you need it to do & integrates properly with the car.

(Tramp still on chips) :P
    I don't think it's aftermarkets the OP has the problem with...it's more the contrived Audi Canbus wiring

I agree with keeping the OEM look and I have looked into RNS-E myself. In my opinion the cost outweighs the benefits...I hardly ever need Sat Nav so use my phone when I do and I believe there's a small track limit for the SD cards (approx 1000). Then you have to start paying more if you want TV, phone integration, etc. It does look smart when fitted though.

My suggestion works with OE units and can be placed out of sight (mines in the glovebox) plus any peripherals that require a connection, the lead can be easily routed through the ashtray, for instance. My USB stick with 5000 tracks is plugged into in and it's forgotten about. If a track comes on that I don't fancy, it's skipped using the headunit buttons. Keeps it simple and OE.

All just my opinion though

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Canbus is a generic networking system for most cars these days, so its not Audi's limitations, more like the aftermarket manufacturers not opening up there market to more wider audience to work seamlessly with the vehicles.

The mk1 has a limitation, but 500 tunes per card isn't bad, say average of 15 tracks per album, that's 33 albums per card, most people listen to a subset of albums in a given period & can always have more sd cards, but the mk2 has no limitation up to the 32GB in each slot which is thousands of tunes, plus you get full artist, album & track data on head unit & dis, aswell as control via mfsw.

For me TV was always a waste of time for front viewers anyway, kids in the back yes, but these days ipads suffice for this anyway & phone integration does come at a cost, but again, seamless integration is where it is at for me & others, people like to just have it work as its meant to be.

The OP can make his own decision, but if he just wants seamless integration then for me OEM is his best bet even at a higher cost.

2nd Gear

Status
    Agree with your point on the aftermarket producers not falling in line. Can't see why not, either. Wouldn't be necessary if Audi weren't so far behind on tech trends though. Quite a few big car manufacturers are cottoning on but not Audi, just yet.

Didn't know there was a Mk 2 RNS-E. Certainly sounds a better prospect with 64gb of music How would one identify a Mk 2 or is that a trade secret??? Is is RNS-E+ like the Symphony II+ which also gives tag info?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I think its fair to say the era of the rns was from 03, so its kind of a (poor) excuse why they didn't manufacture a better system like say the rns510, but alas audi are arrogant at times & the A3 was there 2nd to bottom line chassis, with only the A2 below it, so technology was never going to be top of the table as such, however I do agree they should of done better over the 3 facelift releases of the 8P with more advanced unit.

There way of dealing with, is to add things like AMI, OPS, SDHC compatibility but leave the basic design as was, took them damn well long enough to release the 8V & look at the jump in tech that has or maybe not lol, its got the mmi systems the bigger cars had some years back, but alas.

Media button, higher res screen, firmware level are traits of a mk2, but some unscrupulous sellers are selling mk1's with media buttons, cretins!!!
    Audi Doodah likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    If I can sell my aftermarket unit for a reasonable price then I will look at RNS E but I like the look of oem as my aftermarket HU sticks out and looks ugly to me. Oem looks tidier. So exploring either my symphony with grom but worried I will lose my built in 6cd changer facility or I will get an rnse unit. Is there any model rnse that won't fit the Audi?

6th Gear

Status
    Is there any model rnse that won't fit the Audi?
    You must make sure you get an A4 version of the RNS-E as the faceplates for the different Audi models are all different shapes and sizes.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

2nd Gear

Status
    If I can sell my aftermarket unit for a reasonable price then I will look at RNS E but I like the look of oem as my aftermarket HU sticks out and looks ugly to me. Oem looks tidier. So exploring either my symphony with grom but worried I will lose my built in 6cd changer facility or I will get an rnse unit. Is there any model rnse that won't fit the Audi?
    Already said that you won't loose your internal CD changer. You just switch between the two with the CD button.

2nd Gear

Status
    Already said that you won't loose your internal CD changer. You just switch between the two with the CD button.
    Sorry didn't see that reply