A4 Cab B6 windscreen nightmare!!

kozzi

Reaction score
Hi Eeryone first post and sorry to say a problem.
Wife had a new screen fitted over a year ago and afterwards leaked like hell and played havok with all the elctrics resulting in 5 AA calls outs; not good!
She got another crack a few months ago when a piece off a lorry smacked into her screen on the motorway. Called insurance, they set up with AA windscreens and they have been nothing but useless taking over three weeks to get to us. Went to her work, only after an hour called my wife to say he couldnt fit the new screen because the previous firm had rounded off the bolts! he has loosened off the ally strips and thats it - could he thinking the rivets under the strips are bolts and has not a clue, or are there bolts visable?
He told my wife to go to Audi, get them drilled out and then call them to arrange fitment again.
Is this true? or does he not know the first thing about her 2004 A4 Cab? Before I go into savage mode and make a fool of myself can someone enlighten us as to wether he is correct.
Many thanks
Kozzi

You do have to drill out the rivets, then replace with new ones on reassembly.

I'm not sure what bolts might be involved, I've only replaced one of the aluminium sides on my Cab.. I'll check my workshop manual.

the trim is riveted and bolted on from inside the car you have to drop off the plastic trim where the sunvisors are then you will see the bolts .. if your bolts are no good you can always bold the trim inplace

Last edited:
Thanks Jason, I would assume u have to take the trims off to even begin with the windscreen removal? No drill in tool kit means no rivets removed

VR6Gordy can you see the bolts if the rivets are still in place?

drop the sunvisor trim off and you will see the bolts ..trim at top of windscreen the your light is

Both side trims come off, then the top trim before you can remove the screen and bond a new one in place.

There are a couple of bolts at the top of the side trims that connect to the top trim, these are accessed by removing the interior headlining trim.

I lost the nut a couple of times and had to retrieve with a magnet as I was worried it would rattle about.

Those might be the ones he said were rounded off

Would they be easy to drill out if needed?

the bolts are bonded on top the ally trim doubt they are rounded off as they would break off before they rounded off

They guy said he could not carry on as the bolts were rounded off!!
This is weird!!

Check it out yourself mate as Jason and Gordy have said, if all looks to be as it should (how these guys are saying it should be) then I'd get on the blower to your insurance company and tell them you want someone to come out and do the windscreen who actually knows what they're talking about! And pronto! 3 weeks to come out to you is a joke!