Monster MotorsportChris Nott
    Neutral

Status

timing belt and warranty query

made a post about a week ago about a coolant leak in a nutshell it was me water pump ive got rac warranty so got the car into a Halfords auto centre who repair on behalf of rac they checked car and told me water pump was leaking and had been dripping onto timing belt so a new timing belt is needed rac said they'd pay for supply of timing belt and water pump but said the timing belt needs the full kit pullys ect but they wont pay for kit only belt itself is this even fair if audi specify the full kit needs doing with belt?? its all technically part of belt so they should pay for kit tbf coz its now gonna cost me 170 for the kit and its not my fault any of these problems occurred so I shouldn't have to pay for kit not when ive only had car 8 weeks and its needing a timing belt and water pump with only 64k on.

sorry for essay lol has anyone else had any problems like this with warranty's and whats peoples opinions on doing just a belt change without pullys and tensioners ect????

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    In terms of warranty they will only pay for what broke and then what was damaged as a result, they are right in asking for you to pay for pulleys as it's not the pulleys that have failed. so you are 16k miles away from a belt change anyway, our 1.8t pump failed at 75k, you would be mad not replace the pulleys IMO

Look at it this way £170 for a complete belt, pump and pulley change is way better than £500 plus from the audi dealer, the question you really need to ask is what warranty they will now give you for the pump, belt and pulleys?

Neutral

Status
    I agree there a just hoped there may be a loophole to avoid paying 170 on car that av paid 7 n a half grand for ano what ya saying but no one wants to fork money out after spending over 7 grand

and I get 1 years warranty if I choose to go with the parts Halfords supply so say I found a cheaper timing belt kit theyd fit it but id have no warranty so am gonna let Halfords supply the parts then al have a years warranty which is even more peace of mind a suppose in one way am getting a timing belt and pump fitted for 170 just like you said aswell

Neutral

Status
    ps looked through receipts and it had belt kit fitted at 34k and water pump fitted about 20k still though its technically a cheap timing belt job for me and a wont need to worry about it for a while (a hope)

Status
    I would request a metal impeller pump less likely to fail then the plastic jobbies
    Black Audi RS4 2006 Exclusive edition, Black optic option (stock for now)