coilovers knocking noise. fix, may be

deano1978

different gear
Reaction score
Ok i got my coilovers installed a while back now but b4 that my ride was nice and SILENT.
Once installed i noticed a knocking noise and knew it was coilover related. Just been driving day to day and trying to ignore it. Read loads of threads,people changing,engine mounts,top mounts,bushes,suspensions arms all to no avail.

But i did see that someone mentioned drive shafts. I went and checked for play and i reckon thats the cause. There was around 2mm each of play in both drive shafts and the noise it made of tapping was very familiar to whats occuring while driving.

So if you have coilovers check or confirm that theres play in there (left to right)

I dont know if its the norm to have play in the drive shafts, (2mm) id b glad to find out its not the norm and ive found the dreaded knocking noise!

Mine knocks when i have my coilys set to hard and gets quieter and quieter the softer i set them! On full soft no knocking....weirdddd

Maybe with the stiffness to softness as its being adjusted it changes the travel lenght
So as its soft the suspensions near it original height,nice n tight with drive shaft

Stiff is lowered so mgt create that little gap with the drive shafts beings its changed height? Which creates the knocking noise

Just another thought.

We must get to the answer... I put up with the knock as like it stiff

If there isn't any play in the drop link and arb bush then it's not, I got this and it's passenger and guess what I've know for months it's my driveshaft had the driveshaft end rebuilt once but now got play again need to just get a new one

Mine were fitted about 3 months ago, dont get any knocking - I replaced all front suspension arms & ARB bushes at the same time.

I do occcasionally get the odd spring movement noise - which im guessing is the sound of the helper spring moving against the main spring, only happens every now and again.

Pretty sure the driveshafts should have some in and out movement... the shaft is on splines and it needs a small amount of movement as it changes length ever so slightly as the suspension moves up and down... all that tends to happen with drive shafts is the outer CV joint will fail... this gives a clicking sound as you move forwards with full lock on the steering

Originally Posted by spartacus 68
Worn suspension drop link and ARB bush? Both inexpensive and easy to replace.
Yep. Replaced all of that and all arms. No difference. Still there. Bummer!

same... Replaced everything except for upper control arms as cant be assed with pinch bolt

So maybe cv joints? What do you guys reccomend? New cv units?New shafts, reconditioned?Is it as simple as taking old out and putting new in?Reas about drive shafts need balancing?Didnt change my top mounts as garage said there ok,and the knocking is sounding further down towards wheels.

Culd spend silly money fault finding....

ive changed everything mentioned even cv' hub' bearings for all new genuine only thing left is the opposite end to the cv joint
and your still getting the knocking noise?
Mine makes the noise even driving on a nice flat ground too!

without stating the obvious but if you've changed everything and it wasn't there before you fitted the coilovers then it sounds like a faulty strut within the coilover setup cv joints inner or outer wont cause a clunk going over bumps... as i said earlier they click when on full lock.... were they a respected brand of coilover ?? could you not refit your old springs and struts and see if goes away ??

what coilover set ups are you guys running ???
im looking around for one myself for my s4

There the fk highsport mid priced ones. I read on another audi site,guy having exact same probs as some of us,went back to springs,noise gone to??

Theres guys and gals with budget coils on with no noises what so ever????

Ive checked the struts loaded + unloaded. Solid. I will get to the bottom of this....just watch this space

I run dgr coilovers, are pretty good for a relatively unknown make! They are pretty much d2 copies... Have been round few different tracks on them and was really happy with their performance... Rebound rates are good and keep all 4 wheels on the floor most of the time! I do get a knock once i fitted them but i have changed a few suspension components amd still get it but it seems to be something to do woth the coilover itself as goes away when i turn them to soft! But then again ive been i. Some well set up track cars that are npisy as hell through the stiffness so i think its down to me stiffening everything up so much