is my a4 quattro haldex or torsen?

whinfs

Reaction score
hi ive been looking round trying to find info on my 2002 A4 B6 1.9TDI quattro. i thought all quattros were the haldex system but now i find theres a torsen system too, but I can't find which version mine is.

can anyone tell me haldex or torsen?

i also thought it was a permanent 4wd but im reading some are 2wd with the 4wd kicking in when needed.

aargh!

sorry, very confused newbie!

As far as I know the only Haldex Quattros are A3s and S3s (some early TTs?), the rest (á la A4) are torsen permanent 4WD.

hi ive been looking round trying to find info on my 2002 A4 B6 1.9TDI quattro.

The B6 1.9TDI is definitely fixed 4 wheel drive quattro system. Other VAG cars such as the Golf 4Motion and Passat 4Motion are haldex part-time 4WD. Under normal conditions 90% power goes to front, 10% rear. Loss of grip/slippage needs to occur for onboard computer to divert power, etc.

Reactions: BRILLO
I echo the last 2 post's.... your A4 is permanent Torsen 4 wheel drive..... an A3 TQS , S3 or TT are Haldex both systems have their flaws and merits but the Torsen is considered to be REAL Quattro

Haldex is for girls real men drive Torsen.......

Here is another question do we know what Torsen stands for?? Answer scroll down

Torque Sense it's an abbreviation

Ha! Learn sommat everyday, I thought it had been invented by a Scandinavian :)

Oddly enough Haldex is a Swedish company! If you are ever at a loose end the late great Phil Payne (rip) back a long time ago had a great discussion on a forum that pre dates this one, google search his name and spider bite for an evening reading, this dates back to the late 90's it's all about Torsen Haldex wasn't even born then.

I am currently in the market for a 2.5 quatto, going see 1 tonight that he says is Haldex 4wd, not torsen,can this be right ??

Even more confused now, will defo be having a look underneath for a prop, or rear diff!!
He defo said its a 2003 A4 Sport Tdi (163) Avant Haldex???

Don't be confused. All longitudinal Audi's (and I think all VAG cars..) with quattro are Torsen systems, it's the transverse engined cars like the TT and A3 which are Haldex.

A quattro badge does not make a quattro ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: kanecullen89, rjm180, crazy88 and 1 other person
I am currently in the market for a 2.5 quatto, going see 1 tonight that he says is Haldex 4wd, not torsen,can this be right ??
No, he's talking out of somewhere that the sun doesn't shine - the A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, Q5, Q7 and R8 quattros are all Torsen.

AFAIK only the A3 based models are Haldex (i.e. A3/S3/RS3, TT, Q3).

Just got back from seeing it. Felt bad really telling him the car he had owned for 7 years was not a quattro and esp button does not turn it on or off lol. Shame really as it was very nice. Full s4 kit with twin pipes. Fsh. But also felt gutless

Reactions: Y23MJJ
Some knob had obviously just stuck a quattro badge on it :laughing::laughing:
Also why do some people get hold of a 2.0tdi and then do an RS4 "conversion" I've even seen complete wide arch ones on Ebay *** and then you get the inside shots and its some se interior with a white headlining haha I really have to curb my enthusiasm and not hit the send message button :flushed::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Jonni3
Haldex clutch pack system is only used on transverse mounts in the VAG line up? Longitudinal is all torsen afaik.