Funny wiper issue

Mollygoogle

Reaction score
This morning when I jumped in the car it had been raining so switched the wipers on. The wipers then only moved 1 inch and stopped. If I knock the ignition off the wipers go back to park. As soon as I touch the control again it moves 1 inch and stops.Any ideas?

I did have a look at that, great write up by the way, but initially dismissed it because all the threads I have read across the net describe different symptoms to me?

Ok, I've taken the wipers off. Without them there the spindles move 5-10 degrees then stop whilst straining to keep moving.

The problem I have now is that even with the three clips removed the trim under the windscreen will not come off! I don't want to break this so what do I do! Can I do the job whilst holding the trim out of the way? I guess not as I can't get to the rear torx bolt on the ECU cover?

help!

The trim needs to come off from memory, it's a long time since I did it so I can't fully remember how it's fixed. I know they're easy to break, but on the plus side only £20ish I think if you do. I think I got a small pick under one side and used it to lever it out of the small channel in the base of the screen. Be very careful though, better to break the strip than the screen...

Well, I had a bad case of slow wipers and had got as far as sourcing a replacement mechanism - I then found I couldn't get that trim piece off, no matter which way I pulled / lifted / slid the wretched thing. When it started to crack I gave up and decided I'd have to put the job off until I'd got a replacement ready to hand. But, as an interim solution, I took advantage of the slightly increased access to apply some spray grease to the linkages and the spindles. (NOT WD40!)

The end result of that was wipers which worked again - and a year on, still are. It might just be worth the try - I suspect that you may need to put the arms on to give some manual assistance to the mechanism to get them moving and help the grease work in.

Mike

In a much happier mood now, shiny new (to me) linkage and scuttle trim installed and working. I can't thank Prestige of Stockton enough for staying open late tonight and doing me a great deal on the parts, a big thumbs up from me