Useful Extras - Sat Nav

howatsi

Reaction score
Does anyone have the Audi Sat Nav fitted to their A4 and (a) is it worth the extra spend especially if you are paying for it with your own cash not company (it is now seen as a must have extra come resale according to a 4Car survey) & (b) is it user friendly and get's you there. All replies appreciated.

It is excellent, I have had the BMW one, the Mercedes Comand, the CD based RNS-D from Audi, units from Navman and the latest TomTom and had the new DVD RNS-E from Audi in the last 3 cars, and have to say that out of all of them I prefer the latest Audi units the most.
If you could add your own Point Of Interests it would be perfect, but that is the only thing that is not as good as say the TomTom, evrything else I find alot better, multiple routes on start up, instructions in the DIS and the ability to be able to play all your music off SD cards with artist and title displayed on screen.

I was offered an extra £1000 on my 3 series touring when they realised it had the full navigation, Mercedes paid me £1200 more for the ML because it had Nav and phone and when I was considering a trade in on my A4 avant he said that anything with Nav sells straight away, which is true, I have sold 6 or 7 cars over the last 2 years and all have had Nav, and all have sold within a couple of days, it makes them stand out from the rest.

Also with alot of new cars now adding Nav as standard it won't be too long, couple of years at most, before a car without nav will look underspecced.
It has gone from being a £3k option that you may get £500 back on, but help sell your car quickly, to a £1500-2000 option that will return you £1k. If you do the sensible thing like you are considering and get someone like Craig to fit it for you for a grand then you can't really go wrong, you can enjoy it now and get your money back come resale time, and sell the car far faster.

You will be surprised just how much you actually use it, even on local trips it comes in handy, well worth having.

Can't agree more. The RNS-D unit that I currently have in my A4 is brilliant, and I can't live without it. It was the "must have" extra that I was looking for when I bought the car. I'm actually about to upgrade to the RNS-E unit because it has an add on audi bluetooth module to use with a mobile phone. If you decide to go with the slightly older "D" version, drop me a pm and we can talk about a price for mine.

Yep, I retro fitted the D version to my A4 - definately the best thing I done as I havent got lost yet, so if you do a lot of driving it is a worthwhile investment.

Mike

Can anyone on here give me a price for the RNS-E with the bluetooth option, along with the parts to make my single DIN dash a double DIN to fit it all in?

Is fitting easy or does anyone on here fancy "helping" me fit it......for a fee of course.

thanks
john

G4JSG,
Drop Craigyb a pm, he fitted mine today. Excellent bloke, and he's in Sale. He does charge, but it is well worth it. He's a stand-up guy, and what he doesn't know, isn't worth knowing.

Craigyb also gave me the wealth of his knowledge when it came to fitting my Phatnoise, top man! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

He really does know his stuff, it will be a really neat install that you can sell on with the car with confidence or take out in 5 mins and get it back looking stock if you prefer.

Spoke to Craig this morning and sorted out a unit for my car when he has time.

I just wanted to know if anyone has photos and manuals on the RNS-E Nav unit, and the bluetooth functionality. Can Craig make the unti play DVDs and TV or is that another add-on?

Thanks
John

There is only a US PDF manual, and they want $10 for it.

I was looking for a UK manual, something to look through before I get my unit installed.

I also wanted to know how the SD card MP3 player works, what limitations there are and does the track information get on the DIS or just the HU?

Does the navigation DVD need to be in all the time, or can you load up your route then take it out so you can play MP3's off the DVD, or can't you play MP3's off the DVD?

Does the navigation system give voice guidance thorughout the route? How is this handled if the phone rings, does the nav system talk over the phone audio?

I have a tomtom go 700 and wnated to see if the nav plus did the same, live traffic updates en-route and so on.

What phones are supported on the bluetooth add-on and can you download the entire phone book to the bluetooth kit? I don;t store any numbers on my SIM card they are all in my phones memory and I wanted to know if this was accessable from the NAV/bluetooth system?

Thanks
John

Briefly,
The MP3 names appear on the HU and on the DIS(I have a colour dis, but assume the red dis is the same.) The dis is small, so only the first 8 characters of the name appear.
Good question on the NAV dvd, I'll test it tomorrow on my way into work.
Nav gives voice guidance throughout, even when on the telephone. I'm now curious which volume the volume button will control if both are on at the same time.
The RNS-E dvd does not have uk tmc(traffic) at the moment. Something about Audi UK not paying for the licence. It is a feature of the software, and will work if and when audi sort out the licence issue.
There is a long list of phones on http://www.navplus.us/. I dont store numbers on my sim either, but the unit downloads all the numbers from the phone. It even downloads your missed call list, recent dialled list, recent received list and you get to store your voicemail number. I'm using a nokia 6230.

Ok, the navigation does not work without the dvd in the drive. So mp3 playback during route guidance would have to be from the sd cards. You can also only play mp3's from the sd cards or from a cd. It does not work with mp3 dvd.

Only from the SD cards or from a cd in the nav drive.

MP3 cd's only work from the nav drive, not from the cd changer. You need to have the map dvd in the nav drive for route guidance, hence you cannot play an MP3 cd AND have route guidance at the same time. SO, during route guidance, you can ONLY have MP3 playback from SD card.

Thanks for the info guys.

Have any of you got the digital TV freeview box fitted? I wanted to know if you can get digital radio too with it and if you could listen to the digital radio whilst driving along, or would you need the mod to allow the unit to do this? Or could you have an AUX input from the freeview box and would this work whilst driving for audio only?

Does the RNS-E play DVD movies or do you need the tuner for that to work?

Sorry for all the questions but I can't find any specs on this unti anywhere on the internet that answer all my questions.

John

[ QUOTE ]
G4JSG,
Drop Craigyb a pm, he fitted mine today. Excellent bloke, and he's in Sale. He does charge, but it is well worth it. He's a stand-up guy, and what he doesn't know, isn't worth knowing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely, don't waste your time elsewhere if you want someone to do this for you. As you look like your so close to him, seems a no brainer.

Highly recommended.