vibration at mway speeds?

glenandem

Reaction score
hi guys, ive had a vibration at mway speeds for a while now that varies and gets worse at certain speeds but i can drive through it?
i dont really feel anything at low speeds its more like 60-70 mph and disapeers at 80 untill 95-100 but idont usually do them speeds anyway,its just to drive through the vibration!
ive just replaced the flywheel and clutch as i was certain it was them plus i had clutch judder when setting off, its sorted the clutch judder but im disapointed the vibration is still there, it cant be in the front suspension or steering as the steering wheel has no vibration whatsoever, ive had all the wheels balanced anyway but the vibration feels like its middle of the car or towards the rear?
it doesnt go when i dip the clutch untill the speed slows down, the only thing im curious about is the engine mounting, theres no leaks and the passenger side is coming up on vcds that its faulty, the one with the solonoid, when i looked at it, it looks like its slightly sagged possibly, could it be this and the engine is slightly lobsided as well a the mount not doing its job with the solonoid?

Only thing i can think is rear wheel balance. try swapping front to back and see if its through the steering wheel. Its definately a rotational problem with road speed, so other than wheels, maybe driveshafts/hubs?

Even if youe wheels have been balanced, there is a possibility the tyre wieghts have fallen off, or other factors have thrown the tyre out of balance, a pothole for instance.

Hi pal, I've checked the rear wheels and it looks like the mongo's just slapped new weights near the old ones, why not remove everything and start again!!
gonna take them back tomorrow and get that sorted but my minds on the engine mount now with it having that fault on Vcds that won't clear,is it possible to fit a non solonoid mounting and will it make much difference rather than fork out alot more for the solenoid type mounting?

if your worried, go swap the wheels around now, you will soon tell if they are the problem!

I know nothing about solanoid mounts but i guess if its not working you may have issues!

Hi pal, I've checked the rear wheels and it looks like the mongo's just slapped new weights near the old ones, why not remove everything and start again!!
gonna take them back tomorrow and get that sorted but my minds on the engine mount now with it having that fault on Vcds that won't clear,is it possible to fit a non solonoid mounting and will it make much difference rather than fork out alot more for the solenoid type mounting?

Any quality tyre fitter would fit new tyres, remove all old wieghts and balance from scratch. I'd almost garuntee this is a wheel balance issue. Take it to a decent tyre fitter and get all 4 re-done, should coast anywhere between £5 and £10 a wheel. If you carry on driving it like this it will start abnormally wearing out bushes and bearings.

If you had tyres fitted recently return it and demand they do the job correctly at their cost.

I know I've got a different car, but I had exactly the same problem on my A3.
Had it in the garage a couple of times with no joy, then had it sent to Wearside Audi, they diagnosed the propshaft.
Long story short, once they replaced the propshaft, no more vibration at 60/70, much more pleasant drive,
hope this helps.