b6 standard Audi 17" Star Alloys

• Thread starter imported_AudiOwner96
  • Start date
I

imported_AudiOwner96

Hi, I have recently purchased a set of these alloys and they came fitted with 225 width tyres. Previously all the other sets of these I have come accross are fitted with 235 width.

Does anyone know - is it that these wheels can take both width of tyre or are the set I have purchased different from the norm?

It does seem that when the wheels have 225 tyres on the the wheel does protrude out a bit (but in no way looks unusual) and is bad for kerbing. So maybe 235 would be better....

The wheel can take 215, 225 or 235. 235 does protect the rim a bit more against kerbing, but keep way from kerbs no matter what wheel you have. I went from 215 to 235 recently, and have found that my fuel consumption has increased. You won't notice the difference in grip. Stick with the 225, especially with a bad winter predicted, the 225 will be a small bit better in snow than the 235. The 235 will be like a snow-board in the snow. Bear in mind the track record of councils to get the gritters out in time.

The 235's came stock in North America, and I assume the same in Europe. 225's are going to give you a smaller rolling diamater so your speedometer will be off by around 1%-2%. Also your odometer will be slightly off (putting miles on faster than actual).

Ive found that they fit 225's to A3's and A4's and 235's to the A6, as these wheels are option on all models.
But as said above, go for the 225 :icon_thumright:

The original 16" alloys fitted to pretty much every B6 as standard are 205/55/16=rolling radius of 632mm. 17's should be 225/45/17 which gives you an RR of 634mm.
235's will actually be 643mm so quite a bit off, but still just within the 2.5% recommendation.

My 2004 A4 with these wheels has 235 tyres. AFAIK, only the A3 got 225 tyres on these wheels. I'm also not sure if the A3 wheels of this design are even the same as teh A4/A6 ones as doesn't the A3 have PCD 5x100 wheels against the A4/A6 PCD 5x115?

I'm sure Audi make adjustments to the gear ratio's and speedo when people opt for 17's on their B6

Hmmm I thought that the width element of the tyre measurement, made no difference to the rolling diameter?? Its the 45 part which makes the difference to this. And I cant imagine that Audi would alter every car to have different gear ratios based on what wheels you choose? Surely this would be logistically impossible?

Sorry I was being sarcastic.
The 45 part is a percentage of the width. So the wider the tyre the bigger the profile i.e. 45% of 235 is slightly bigger than 45% of 225