A4 tdi or A3 tdi

zammo6969

Reaction score
hi guys
i am new to this site and am in a bit of a pickle. I need advice on which to get. Have started a new job and have to do a bit of commuting, love audi's, dont know which one to get tho.

A4 tdi or the A3 tdi new shape
which is better?
How quick is the A4 to 60? It seems quick but all the info i have read says nearly 10 secs.
Would really be grateful for any advice you could give
thanks in advance
simon

I have had both and done around 15-20k miles in both, the A4 was a 2.5tdi and the A3 was a 2.0tdi S-Line.
Now the A3 is definitely more enjoyable, and surprisingly far more comfortable too, and was just as quick.
I had a new 2.0tdi s-line for the day yesterday when the A6 was in for a service and it seemed alright, but if I am totally honest I was really pleased to get my A6 back.

When I got the A3, straight after the A4, it didn't seem to feel any smaller inside, however, it handles like a smaller car and is far more nimble. The 2.0tdi DSG is superb, best gearbox I have had and I got 44.5mpg with mainly urban driving, you can get 50+ no problem, but I prefered the 44.5 whilst enjoying the car!

The A4 just doesn't handle as well as the A3 imho, it seems to be far to wallowy and crash over bumps at the same time, I am sure the B7 I had yesterday was better, but still not great.

When you consider you can get a sportback S-Line DSG with Nav+, bluetooth, interior light package, half leather, 18" alloys, heated seats, auto wipers, auto mirrors and metallic for around the same price as a basic A4 2.0tdi s-line I know which one I would go for.

Zammo - put the time in to drive both, and then trust your own judgement!

Ive also driven both a lot, as we have both in our company fleet..

I'm a high mileage driver (my a4 is not quite 18mth old, has done 38000+)

They are both great cars - good build quality, everything.

I am NOT a fan of the SE variation in either car - and would agree with any criticism of 'wallowy' ride. If Gizze's A4 was an SE then I support his view completely!

However - The 'Sport' or S line version of the A4 is a wildly different story, just as for the A3, chalk and cheese and not wallowy at all, esp with the larger wheels on later models..

The big thing for me though is the cabin and road noise - the A4 is LOADS quieter than the A3, making for a far less wearing drive if you are a high mileage user..

As with all these things, personal opinions are what we are expressing - the A3 wouldnt do it for me, and while many love the DSG, many dont - and I'll include myself in that!

Drive both.. just make sure theyre the s line versions, or its not really a fair comparison!

and whichever you decide on.. there are 5 little letters that you really really want..

r..e..m..a..p..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Zammo - put the time in to drive both, and then trust your own judgement!

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite agree.

Just re read my post and it seemed really negative about the A4, it was not meant to be at all, I would quite happily have either car, and I have owned an A4 saloon and 2 avants, 1 sport and one SE and would take another one tomorrow.
My comment about getting back into the A6 was more to do with the interior on the S-Line being very basic, I would rather have a specced up A3 then a basic A4.

CurryMilkShake, who did you go with on your remap and what about the multi box, did they do anything to that?

I went to AMD, after much perusal here of the various opinions! I decided against the one-click type solution, and went for the full rolling road remap.. £550 as I recall

There didnt seem to be wild differences between the various suppliers - but when I spoke to AMD they were simply superb to deal with, very professional, very helpful (nods to ED) and were equally happy for me to coordinate my remap through their local Audi dealer.. so I have an official Audi invoice for the remap on my car.. with the Audi dealerships attitude being that they wouldnt do that unless they were happy with teh quality and nature of the work AMD do.. that was good enough for me!

The multi box needed no modification. They are careful not to exceed the limitations of the box with the remap, just as for a DSG box, and I am fairly sure the stated torque limits are the same for DSG and Multi.. The 'remapped' torque figure was arount 270 as I recall so well within limits.

the drive though was transformed.. still that wonderful silky smooth delivery from the multi box, but so much more 'urge' to it, I just love it - and its the only car ive ever had, that after nearly 40k miles I am not the slightest bored of! Im surethe remap has played a good part in that though. Would not hesitate to get another Multi!.. A friend picks up his 1.8T multi on thurs - am looking forward to seeing what its like with the petrol lump!

Sounds good, thanks for that mate.

I think I am going to get the A6 done and keep it till next August/Sept.

guys thats absolutely brilliant thankyou very much for your advice, its just what i needed. Will drive both and see.
thanks for taking the time out to reply, again, its really appreciated
simon

And you better post some pics with whatever one you decide on!

Let us know what you thought of each car too after you have had a test drive, tell them you want one or the other and make sure you get them for at least a day each.

hi guys, an update....
i tried to test the cars but my dealership didnt have the right ones in stock, besides i have given it a lot of thought and am after a A4 1.9 tdi quattro sport with gmbh bodykit. If anyone knows of a car going? pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease let me know
cheers