Windows all open mystery

SuperV8

Reaction score
Hi all,
Woke up Sunday morning, looked out the window at my A4 to see all 4 windows fully down! (I have 4x elec windows) I had definitely not left it like that. Haven't used the rears for weeks.
Ran downstairs to check my can and all looked fine, nothing has been taken, lucky it was a dry night.

Anyone else experienced gremlins in the electric windows?

I thought after maybe my car has had the auto windows programmed and I had accidentally pressed the key fob in my pocket, but no it doesn't have the auto windows via the key fob.

Tom.

Are you sure about the remote. It can also be activated by the door lock by key if someone was tampering with that.

If you have VCDS you can deactivate the feature so that it cant be done via door lock or remote.

My wife has done this with her Mk5 Golf and it ended up being the crap in her handbag pressing on the remote LOL

if your positive it does not have the auto windows programmed via remote fob
there is only 2 other logical solutions

1. malfunction with the electrics
2. somebody has a key for your car

personally i would check the car with vcds and disable the feature completly then wait and see if you either have a malfunction or
someone still able to access your car

if you do you could have the keys reprogramed to stop the car being thieved , but they would still be able to access the car

This has happened to me once, the only logical conclusion I ever reached is that the car was locked, and I pressed and held the unlock button long enough to unlock the car and lower all the windows (in my experience auto lock is enabled by default?) - then as no doors were opened it auto locked itself 30 seconds later. It's a bit odd, and freaked me out at the time but it's only ever done it once!

Ah thanks,
So to double check my key fob, for the windows to auto open, the car should be locked or unlocked?, then hold unlock on the key fob until the windows open?
And to close them, should the car be unlocked or locked, and then the lock button held down?

Tom.

The car can be locked or un-locked for the Auto open/close to work, the button just needs to be pressed twice in quick succession and the second click held down.

Do you tend to keep your car keys in your pocket as I'd put my bet on the keys being in the pocket being the problem here.

I did the same with my Cabriolet.. Except I somehow pressed the unlock button 3 times from my pocket while having breakfast.

I went out to the car an hour later to find it unlocked, with the top down.

(I have a remote roof module fitted)

Fortunately nothing was missing and it hasn't rained.

I took to leaving it with the hood storage flap in the up position, so I couldn't repeat the episode.

But since then, I haven't managed to do it again.

So I can confirm my car does have auto windows.

Must have pushed the key fob button when in my pocket...

Tom

So I can confirm my car does have auto windows.

Must have pushed the key fob button when in my pocket...

Tom

Glad it was nothing sinister. I used to sell Skoda's and I made sure one of the things I always showed new customers was that feature and how it could be set off by accident. I also used to show them how easy it was to loock the keys in the boot after using the boot only open button. I only did that after I did it myself!

My Mrs has a mk6 golf and on a few occasions has left work to find her windows open, vw said its a fault that sometimes happens even though the key fob wasn't touched.

This happened to me but just with the drivers window. I lock the car on the harbour and let to sea (I'm a fishermen) on the second day of the trip I get a call saying my drivers window is down but all 4 doors are locked. There's no way it had any thing to do with my keys as they where 25 miles off shore! Luckly the waterproof key was in the glove box so my friend could close the window and lock it again. I noticed when I got back that my auto down stopped working drivers side but fine the other. But it's fixed it self now and all seems to be fine