Airbag light on woes

cmdrew

Reaction score
HI All,

I have just bought an S4 B6 which has an intermittent fault with the airbag warning light coming on part way into a journey. It always seems to come on within 10 minutes of starting out but switching off and on again will clear the light form another 10 minutes. I bought a VAG COM lead and have scanned the car with VCDS Lite and have some codes.

00475 - Control Module for immobilizer
004 - No signal/communication - Intermittent
01794 - Control Module: Incorrect Chassis (VIN) Number

Almost a year ago the car had a new Instrument cluster fitted by Audi - as I have only recently bought the car I don't know if the light has been coming on since then but it does seem a bit of a co-incidence. I'd welcome any suggestions though as to how to clear this problem...

Blame audi for the fault say it has happened since then even if it didnt

Yes thought as much that it would have to go to Audi. Trouble is the dealership which did the work (Docklands Audi) no longer exists. I have VCDS Lite which should allow me to code the controller (don't want to though in case I brick it!) but my question really is whether or not the incorrect VIN error would make the airbag light come on after about 10 minutes driving or whether the first code is the actual error. I might just clear the codes and see what happens - if they come back then I know that there is a fault somewhere. Just can't get a straight answer as to whether or not the VIN is actually a problem.

Always clear codes and monitor to see if they come back. If they do, I'd give the airbag coding in the link a go. Strange that the airbag light clears on an ignition cycle. I always thought airbag warning could only be cleared via software.

Not possible to brick an ECU with VCDS as nothing is being written...it merely changes "settings". Only a registered version of VCDS Lite can code though. Just make a note of any numbers before you try changing anything.

Thanks - I hadn't realised the coding wasn't in VCDS Lite as I haven't been in that bit yet. May have to go to Audi then and see what they say if the codes still come back. Trouble is you can't test it straight away as you have to drive the car for 10 minutes before the light comes back on. Weird!

Cost's £68 to register VCDS Lite. Audi will charge at least that just to look at it.