Which stereo?

vwgtiking

Reaction score
I have an Audi a4 1.8t with a 6cd changer. Thinks its symphony. The previous owner installed gps but not got round to installing a new head unit. What oem unit do I need for sat nav? Does it work ok with iPod or is it aux only and song selection is via the iPod itself?

in terms of OEM there's RNS-E but if your headunit's single din then there's lots of work and cash involved to modify your dash and get it in. Not quite sure what you meat by "installed gps but not got round to installing a new head unit", can't have sat nav on a symphony unit unless it's hooked with parrot or something.
:uhm:

Symphony to RNS-E is a doddle, really easy to do but does cost a few quid. I swapped mine out and had the RNS-E up and running in under 30 mins and the only tools used where the stereo removal tools.

Because its OEM it integrates into the vehicle perfectly including the DIS.

There's low line and high line sat nav rns-d and rns-e (the d has a 5" screen in the middle)

RNS-E was designed for the later B7 model and can be retrofitted to a b6 (I've done a single to double and RNS-E from a seat exeo - the latest RNS-e incarnation)

I wouldn't bother with anything lower than an 'E' and they come in two version mark 1 and 2.

Mk1 have an lcd screen and can take 2 4gb (Non SH) SD Cards. Mk2's have an LED screen and can take 32gb cards.

Mk1 ones are easier to mod (VIM) Mk2's can have full(-ish) ipod integration and AMI.

Neither RNS E will fully integrate with the car - the B6 CCU, etc predates the RNS 'E' so the 'sat nav' element (not the radio or media) won't appear on the DIS until you power down /up or switch from radio / media to NAV on the unit. Simpy the B6 doesn't look for sat nav when it cycles thru the ignition sequence so it doesn't find it. It's a minor issue.

If you have DIS buttons then once the 'sat nav' is recognised you can cycle thru it and the DIS (fuel etc) displays. The radio / track section will appear on the DIS as it does now.

Mark 2 with AMI (the A3 8P type not the A4 B8 integrated, etc) will work / link with mp3 / ipod's and there's a number of threads of people who've done it - it's expensive (c £300 for the parts alone)

RNS 'e' isn't touchscreen and only takes the 1st 5 digits of a uk postcode (you then have to know the street name / number).

Both can have bluetooth and some models SDS - search on here - multi-function steering wheels are also fun / an issue!

I like it lots mind and the look is naturally OEM quality.

link added:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-...s/183504-rns-e-2011-mk2-led-my-2-5tdi-qs.html

Last edited:
Reactions: AllyMc
Neither RNS E will fully integrate with the car - the B6 CCU, etc predates the RNS 'E' so the 'sat nav' element (not the radio or media) won't appear on the DIS until you power down /up or switch from radio / media to NAV on the unit. Simpy the B6 doesn't look for sat nav when it cycles thru the ignition sequence so it doesn't find it. It's a minor issue.
That's not a B6 issue, it also happens on the B7 when the red DIS is fitted.

Audi never factory fitted the RNS-E with the red DIS, so they didn't fix the bug in the CCU firmware.

As said, it's a minor issue - set route guidance active, turn the RNS-E off and back on, and the instructions appear in the DIS.

as above on the RNS-E

but what did the last owner fit ?

So will check the stereo spec. Anyone got pics? The owner said the gps is already rigged up in the boot?