1.9 tdi 130, engine losing power, going into limp mode and sounds like its on 3 cyl

DodgeT

Reaction score
Evening all, hope it would be a while before I was back on here, after my boost related issues last year..

Different problem this time, was on the motorway the other day, cruising speed say 65 on half throttle, car suddenly started juddering a little, put my foot down a bit, cleared through it and all was fine. Did this a few times and as soon as you touched the throttle it cleared. Almost felt like it was being starved of fuel.

Did 50+ miles, no issues. Came to go home, after about 10 mins of driving, did the same again and cleared the same. Then it did it again but would not clear, was juddering quite bad, felt like i'd lost a cylinder and had to almost coast to a laybay, it wouldnt hold let alone gain speed. Pulled over and turned engine off. Oh, ESP light was lit when it started juddering.

Started the car, ran fine, sounded fine, revved fine so set off again. Less than a mile on, exactly the same thing again, no power, ESP light on and had to coast to a stop. Seeing as i'd got nearly 50m left to go, thought sod it and rang the AA. He came, had a look, started and revved OK etc. Stuck the diagnostics on, no errors shown. Went for a drive with him in and this time I had to really try hard to get it to throw the light and go to basically 3 cylinders, i'd been driving uphill using high revs, low revs with lots of load etc and the only time it happened was when going around a roundabout on half throttle.
Parked up again, he had another look, diagnostics again, nothing, started and ran absolutely fine.
When it does it it sounds like its lost a cylinder, he confirmed this too.

We decided instead of towing, that he'd follow me home, then tow if necessary. For the 50m drive I only had to reset ignition about 4 times, but then as we got to literally the last turn and 0.5mile for home, it kept throwing the ESP light and going to 3(?) cylinders almost every 200yds, didn't think I was going to get home.

As soon as parked up, checked diagnostics again, nothing. Starts and revs fine....

When it goes, it really feels like its struggled on fuel / lost a cylinder.

Car has done 230k miles, original fuel pump, fuel filter changed a few months ago, everything else fuel related - injectors/pumps etc original.

Any ideas guys?

Might be worth replacing the injector harness as they are prone to failing (lots of info on it) and if not done on yours with that high miles it could be a broken harness that is randomly playing up.

Other things to check would be fuel pressure and signs of leaks.

Is the battery chamber bone dry or is there water in it.

Thanks, thinking about it, the AA chap did mention the injector harness. Just rang local VW/Audi and they have one in stock, £61, so probably worth me chucking that on tonight.

I'll report back when done, fingers crossed!!

No signs of leaks and will check battery chamber, although should be OK as I cleared it out late last year and removed the grommets. (Nearly cutting my hand off with the battery at the same time..)

Worth changing it if it has never been done on those miles

Got the harness at lunch, so will get it fitted tonight and hope it cures it....
Looks like its going to be a fiddly one.

Done, took about 1.5hrs, easy enough really. Panicked a bit after snapping the old one on removal.. Put the new one in boiling water to soften it up and it flew in!

Been out for a quick drive - approx 10 - 15 minutes and all seems well. Lets hope thats cured it!

Just out of interest Dodge, did the glow plug light flash on and off aswell during this issue or was it just the ESP light?

Cheers

Just the ESP light would come on as soon as it started juddering / going on 3 cylinders.

Ok thanks. Just bought a B6 today drove it home (3 hours away) and have the flashing glow plug/ESP light/limp mode syptoms> Just reading a bit more about iton the forum...

Ok thanks. Just bought a B6 today drove it home (3 hours away) and have the flashing glow plug/ESP light/limp mode syptoms> Just reading a bit more about iton the forum...

Same thing happened to my S4, ESP light started flashing and then stayed on permanently, engine now running on 7 cylinders
got it booked in today for a new coil pack - will keep you posted

Get a fault scan done or you'll be throwing money away on random "fault cures"

Same thing happened to my S4, ESP light started flashing and then stayed on permanently, engine now running on 7 cylinders
got it booked in today for a new coil pack - will keep you posted

No coil packs on a diesel :yes:

Done, took about 1.5hrs, easy enough really. Panicked a bit after snapping the old one on removal.. Put the new one in boiling water to soften it up and it flew in!

Been out for a quick drive - approx 10 - 15 minutes and all seems well. Lets hope thats cured it!

Good to hear and keep us posted.