B6 Speaker Upgrade

czm

Reaction score
Hey guys

I am looking at upgrading the speakers in my wifes 1.8T Avant 2004. Currently they are standard non Bose and have developed a horrid crackling.

I am not looking at major modding/alterations just plug and play if possible with some extra ommmpphhh would be a bonus.

What would be my best option?

as regards maker wise i would reccomend

focal, rainbow , audison or hertz in that order
cost will be as much as your prepared to spend , however good sound does not come from quality speakers alone
good sound comes from quality installation , anything you cut corners on now will manifest itself when listening to the speakers

at a minimum i would advise some nice new baffles for the speakers to fit into and
a couple of sheets of sound deadening behind and around the installation

You need decent MDF adapters (see ebay) and the JL Audio TR650csi's are really decent for sensible money - easy to fit as well as they don't have a bulky crossover.

if you buy the mdf adaptors or baffles from ebay id advise you paint them or varnish before installing them
or they wont last 2 minutes ... mdf is porous so will soak up and hold water

Lacquer the speakers as well just to be on the safe side!
The MDF adapters are mounted to the inner skin of the door so really aren't exposed to the elements, certainly no more than the speaker itself. I must admit I did lacquer mine so it can't hurt.

You need decent MDF adapters (see ebay) and the JL Audio TR650csi's are really decent for sensible money - easy to fit as well as they don't have a bulky crossover.

Thanks for the help, so with these I just need the MDF adapters for the fronts and that all?

Do I need cross overs? Could I update the sub to a Bose one?

Yes that's right, the JL's have an inline filter on the tweeter cable instead of a crossover, just like the stock tweeters.
You can upgrade the sub to Bose, but it's not that simple, you'll need to install the Bose amp, full front to back wiring loom and change the sub itself, definately not worth it for a small improvement. If you are going to those lengths then far better to install a proper sub, similar amount of work for a far greater improvement
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/car-entertainment/18403-a4-avant-b6-stealth-sub-install.html

Love that guide, really made a good job never would've thought to mount it there, can you use the original sub wiring or do you need fresh wires front to back.

You can use the original feeds for left and right pre-outs and remote but you obviously need to run a new power cable. Bear in mind on non Bose you will need a 4ch amp as the stock amp drives the rears as well, or you need to leave the stock amp connected for the rears. If you have an aftermarket HU then you can rewire the rears directly to the HU and run a proper RCA from the sub pre-out.

most speaker manufacturers protect there speakers from new anyhows with a waterproof coating at the back of the speaker but
laquering the back of the speakers isnt a bad idea but be carefull and make sure the voice coils are sealed or youll risk
laquer building up on the coil and grating up and down in the magnetic gap essentially knackering the speaker