Rear number plate

mattyb6

Reaction score
How have you guys got ya rear plate fixed on?

mine has the original Newcastle audi showroom plate surrounds on and they look crap.
so bought so number plate screws a while ago from eBay. Today I removed the rear plate to find the surround was bolted on with 2 10mm bolts.

but I want the proper number plate screws with the coloured caps.

whats best I do? Just drill new holes o suite the the screw into the boot lid and fill the old holes?

im not using sticky pads 1. I have extremely bad luck with them
2. I'm probably going to paint the boot soon anyway so easier to remove screws.

I have just had to re-do the fixings on my boot as someone had snapped metal bolts off in the standard threaded fixings. I drilled out the original fittings and replaced them with rivnuts which are internally threaded rivets. Worked a treat.

Cheers greeny.
Il be getting some pressed plates too.
The screws I've got are self taping so might just put them in. Then if I come across some rivinuts or something similar il get some.

Il just get the drill out tomorrow ;)

same for the front too :p

How i did mine..
Scored the back of my pressed plate then 2 sticky pads just for positioning then 2 lines of tigerseal.

I've got tiger seal but won't it ruin the paint if I ever have to remove it?

Walking past our local Halfords a while back and one of their staff was trying to remove the rear number plate from a car using what I can only describe as a massive screwdriver brute force and leverage. Hate to think what it did to the bodywork underneath.

I've got tiger seal but won't it ruin the paint if I ever have to remove it?

Well it's used for bonding spoilers, side skirts, door mouldings on etc, so it's not supposed to come off. That's why I used it, but then again I don't intend to remove my plate. Probably will be murder removing it off the paint.

I put pressed plates on mine in a set on ingoldstat number plate surrounds of audi. They finish it off nicely imho

I use Halfords sticky pads, I have done for years and *touch wood* I've never lost a plate. Worst case, it's a tenner for a new one. Far preferable to some mega glue you'll never get off...

Plain black plate holder screwed with self tappers and pressed plate inside for me.

Plain black plate holder screwed with self tappers and pressed plate inside for me.

I might find some carbon surrounds and pressed plates. Then I can use my original 10mm bolt holes.
failing that just use 2 self tappers ;)

while I'm at it does any one know what the best bulbs are for the reg plate, I'm after bright white LEDs