A4 2.0 petrol oil leak, help please

Cpt.cliff

Reaction score
Hi guys,I'm new to the site so go easy, I was on my way home when I had smoke coming from the engine bay, stopped and could see oil was coming from a hole at the back of the head all over the cat and burning off. Got the car home and had a closer look, it's a round hole to the left of the temp sensor and is 26 mm in diameter. Ordered a part from audi that's a 22 mm core / freeze plug so won't fit my 26 mm hole. The question is do I need a 26 mm plug or is there something else that go's in the hole that's fallen out. I have added these pics, first one the engine seconed and forth the hole in question and the other is where it is. Thanks
ImageImageImageImage

Well, without taking off the big black pipe, I can tell you that mine appears to have a black plug - which is slightly oily. It's a little difficult to take a measurement off I'm afraid. I'd be talking to Audi again - - -

Thanks for looking mike, it's gone in to my local Indy today for the to look at but I'm sure it's just a plug of some sort. I have a mate that works in parts at audi and supplied me with the 22 mm core plug but did say there was a lot of different sizes. Guess i will find out tomorrow. Will message back when I do as no one seems to no for sure.

Ok it's been in and it was a rubber plug on the back or the cylinder head, £2.18 from audi. Over the years it's degraded and come loose in turn spitting oil over the cat. Easy fix in the end. Thanks again mike

Reactions: Mike_B