New Key

arthurfuxake

Controversial & Contradictive
Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
I've only got one key for my B6 A4, is it possible to re-code one of the keys available on ebay, or is the key a dealer only thing? I've heard of someone who got a key off ebay and it would open the car, but not start the engine.

Hi Lon,

I don't know about the compatibility of the keys on ebay, but I did have to get one of my keys re-coded by a dealer, and it cost £50+.

I would assume if it's a genuine audi key you're buying, then you could get it re-coded by the dealer as above.

Cheers

Mike

I also thought so, but the guy says that he bought the key off ebay(genuine audi part) and took it into the dealer to be re-coded and the dealer got it working partially. It opens the doors but does not disarm the immobiliser. The dealer says that a new transponder chip needs to be put into the key-fob to recode it to the immobiliser. Something about the transponder being serialised to the vehicle(or similar gobbledegook). I'm wondering whether he got a pre2001(pre 8E) key fob and there is a compatibility issue?

I bought a new key direct from the dealer, it cost just under £80 and obviously they code it for you when you collect it.

the immobiliser part of the key can only be coded once making ebay keys a waste of money unless they are new and have never been coded

Thanks Pete, looks like I'll have to get a price from the dealer then. I feintly recall a price more in the region of £180, I hope it's closer to your price Gizze.

i thought it was the other way around.. the car (ecu and speedo clocks) were programmed to accept the immobiliser code in the key? Each key is unique, hence why it remembers your aircon settings.

If you ever buy a cloned key from a high-street key-cutter, they just copy your existing imobiliser code, so the car thinks its the same key, and you lose the functionality of personalised aircon settings.

as for ebay keys, be careful, make sure the part numbers are the same, as the remote un/locking transmitters in them all work on different frequencies. Other than that, all you need is to take it into a dealer to get them to tell your ECU to accept the immobiliser code, and cut you a new blade, preferably from your key number.