Gearbox oil questions ?

audilad9

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm going to change my gearbox oil and rear diff oil on my 04 1.9 q.
My gearbox code is FYC.
Audi tell me that theres many different oils for different gearbox codes and wont give away details of whats realy needed !! :scared2:

I believe I need 2.5 litres for box and 1.5 litres for rear diff. Can anyone confirm this ?
Audi want £47.52 for 3 litres of gear oil and £34.75 for the 1.5 litres of diff oil. A total of £82 for about a gallon of oil seems steep.
I realise the correct grades are required and will likely just have to stump up as its the transmissions insurance and therefore worth it, but is anyone out there using alternative oils in their transmission that are possibly a bit easier on the wallet but meet the required spec ?

Do people think the prices I have been quoted are fair enough ?

Any info appreciated, thanks.

Speaking with others i am led to believe that if you put anything other than audi specific oil in the gearbox and diff that they do not perform as well! May be worth the dosh

Reactions: audilad9
I run Fuchs Sintofluid 75w-80 in my 6-sp manual gearbox and Fuchs Sintopoid 75w-85 in the rear diff.
Been in there over a year now with no issues.

Reactions: oilman and audilad9
to be honest thats a bit ****
the dealer should at least be informing you what type of oil and the code number it is which is in your diff and gearbox
in all honesty i would ring another dealer

that said i used genuine audi gearbox oil as the only other stuff i could find is only available in the states and by the time id shipped it across it was the same price as the genuine (mines a tiptronic s4)
for the rear diff the americans swear by motul 300 sae75w90 so thats exactly what i put in about 18 months ago and its been superb

Thanks for all replies and help. I looked at the fuchs oil on ebay, but they wont deliver to where I am, which is annoying as its mainland UK and not remote.
Anyway I will enquire as to whether Opie oils can deliver, they look good, thanks Tim.
Looking at the motul300 for diff, thanks dualmono21.
Has anyone noticed any improvement in gearchange with alternative brand oils ?

Yes, the dealer was rather unhelpful on this although they did confirm my gearbox code and check as to what oils were required, they just would not tell me, they even said they get asked at least several times a week for oil codes/compatibility and dont give out this information ! This and the profit on lubricants etc is why I would be keen to try another brand thats cheaper if possible.

ask for the part number for what they are going to supply ...
as YOU would like to confirm it is the correct specification for your vehicle

then google it and find the equiavalent specification

Look in your Audi handbook its all there, well its in mine.

That's not a bad price at all. I payed about £100 for mine from Tps about 1 year ago and still haven't got round to doing it haha. But you will have to buy 3 litres of the box oil and 2 litres of the diff oil. Also for anyone who has done theirs is there an easy way of putting the oil in? Or is it the case of a diy pump to pump it in?

That looks fairly easy now haha. What about the rear diff? As there isn't anywhere to lift the bottle up high enough any ideas @frankc. Also when I bought mine I only got the gearbox and rear diff oil. But the other day when a was under my mates a4 quattro I noticed that the transfer box also has a drain plug on it. So does that mean I have to get some more oil for that when I replace all the oil. As I know some gearboxes on other cars with 4 wheel drive share the oil with the transfer box is Audi quattros the same or are they a separate unit that has it's own oil?

As long as the bottle is above the level of the diff then you could run a pipe under the car from the outside and gravity will do the rest. There will be some oil left in the pipe but not much.

Don't know much about the Audi transfer box I'm afraid, from looking at Elsawin I don't remember any mention of it being separate but I'll have to have another look.

There's other Quattro owners have changed gearbox & diff oils with no mention of transfer box, I'll try find some links.

Thanks @frankc that's great. It could just be me thinking it's a seperate unit. But I find it strange how it has a sump plug on it but I could find a filling point

Very quick Google has confirmed the torsion diff of the Quattro system is in the main box. I've only come across transfer boxes in my old S3 Land Rover which were used to step down for low range gearing.

Did my gearbox mount 2 weeks ago and didn't notice a second drain point, can see me going back under this weekend for another look!

Ohryt it could be me being stupid haha. If I have time tonight I'll crawl under and take a pic and upload it