Help needed asap

Fast Road

Reaction score
We have an Audi A4 1.8 2002 and we cannot get into it because the battery is flat. Has anyone had this problem and managed to get into their car.

Andy

Have you tryed oeping the boot and going through back seats?

From the sounds of things, the previous owner has removed the actuating rod from inside the driver's door lock. This means the only way the driver's door lock will open the car is via the central locking pump itself, using the key or remote, as long as there's power (charged battery).

So, with a live battery, the car can be unlocked via the OEM key fob, or by double-unlocking the driver's side door, the pump will lift ALL the locks. The operating rod within the driver's side door (linked from the lock cylinder to the door mechanism) is the only mechanical connection. Remove this, and the only means is via double-unlocking, which is electrical, and needs battery power to operate.

It's the factory deadlock / anti-car jacking function, whereby if you unlock the car via the key on the driver's side, only the driver's door is unlocked, reducing the instance of being car-jacked via the other unlocked doors.

Best way to gain access is to take a jumper pack under the car, connect the negative clamp to a good ground, and the positive to the permanent live on either the alternator or starter motor. This effectively restores power to the car, allowing the central locking to operate, either via the driver's side lock, or the remote.

I hope your car isn't stupidly low, and your jack isn't locked in the trunk too...

My advice, once you gain access to the car, please purchase the driver's side actuating rod, save yourself a bit of grief in the future. Good luck.

From the sounds of things, the previous owner has removed the actuating rod from inside the driver's door lock. This means the only way the driver's door lock will open the car is via the central locking pump itself, using the key or remote, as long as there's power (charged battery).

So, with a live battery, the car can be unlocked via the OEM key fob, or by double-unlocking the driver's side door, the pump will lift ALL the locks. The operating rod within the driver's side door (linked from the lock cylinder to the door mechanism) is the only mechanical connection. Remove this, and the only means is via double-unlocking, which is electrical, and needs battery power to operate.

It's the factory deadlock / anti-car jacking function, whereby if you unlock the car via the key on the driver's side, only the driver's door is unlocked, reducing the instance of being car-jacked via the other unlocked doors.

Best way to gain access is to take a jumper pack under the car, connect the negative clamp to a good ground, and the positive to the permanent live on either the alternator or starter motor. This effectively restores power to the car, allowing the central locking to operate, either via the driver's side lock, or the remote.

I hope your car isn't stupidly low, and your jack isn't locked in the trunk too...

My advice, once you gain access to the car, please purchase the driver's side actuating rod, save yourself a bit of grief in the future. Good luck.

Thats great, thank you, we will give it a go.

If that don't work then hope you have manual windows in the back and a coat hanger towel and a flat strong screw driver to wedge open the door...... had to do this a couple of times and it's a slow process

Its a shame your not closer, I have some nifty lock picks, assuming you left your key in the car?