Bought an A4 but zero key fobs work!

bstark

Reaction score
Hi all

Last weekend I bought a 2002 A4 Cabriolet in the UK so am finally in the Audi family

However it only came with one key, which does not work remotely... the previous owner just used the key in the lock... and guessed that perhaps the battery had died. I changed the battery but surprise surprise it still doesn't work. I also tried the 'turn key to on, press lock on fob for a few seconds, press lock on door for a few seconds, then repeat for unlock' as I was advised to try in another forum, and that still didn't work.

(Apologies if this is covered in other threads. I've mainly seen questions where one key fob has stopped working but the owner still has a spare to program it from... whereas I have nothing that works!)

Firstly I want to get the first key fob working, and then I want to get a spare made. Will I need to go to a dealer to get the first one working? Or is there another way? I imagine the battery has been flat for many months.

And would I then be able to buy the right model of key fob (8ZO 837 231 D) from Ebay, get the blade cut, and then program it myself? Or would I need the dealer to do that for me too?

many thanks

Ben

You can do this with VCDS. Where are you based there may be a local VCDS owner to help you out.

EDIT:
Sorry, I was on the phone!
To expand on this, VCDS software will program compatible keyfobs for remote locking etc, and with the use of a pin reader can reprogram new keys. New keys to operate the immobiliser should be new as the chips cannot be reprogrammed to a different car. Key fobs sometimes work for the central locking from another car, but new are quite cheap to buy anyway.

The map of people with VCDS is here: VCDS (formerly VAG-COM) forum
You will have to check for somebody local with a pin reader too to be able to program your new key.

If you are local I will be able to both supply and code a new key, but I am unable to personally cut a new blade.

Last edited:
or it maybe if the battery has gone flat it needs re synching to the car which does not involve vcds just done this on a friends passat

To program a new key you'll need vcds still, and the skc also. Have you got that? It's a 4/5 digit code that you need to program a new transponder.

What ever you do don't muck about with your key fob, I tried replacing the key fob and transponder and ending up with an immobilised A4 and a bill of £350 from Audi to supply and code new keys and not to mention the £50 to get the car recovered :(
If you go to Audi with the key fob you have they can restore it for £45. You should get a replacement key ASAP, I put getting a spare key for mine off and it ended up being a nightmare.
It'll cost £150 for a complete key, fob ad coding from Audi.

Yeah, if you've only got 1 I wouldn't go messing with that one. Get a replacement first and take it from there.

My complete key with cut blade and new chip cost under £40 brand new and nothing to code, stuff paying Audi prices! They wanted £170 iirc for my A3 2002.

The only time you have issues is if you dont do your research, like a guy a short while ago who tried programming a key from another car, and then replaced the chip with the wrong type! The correct chip was a few quid and reprogrammed using vcds and a pin reader.