Changed fuse now Emission Warning light showing

itruk

Reaction score
Recently bought a cigarrete to USB adapter and testing it out yesterday.. didn't work and neither was the cigarrete light. So found the fuse and noticed it had blown so i swapped it with the 15a fuse next to it (front power socket iirc).

To which the adapter worked... great!

I then noticed the ESP and Emission Contol System light showed up, so i returned the fuses to where they came from and now all i have is the Emission light showing.

Any idea's on what i've done?

Have a look in the user manual to see what the 15amp fuse was for,that you removed. or on back of fuse box cover.

The fuse cover and the manual tell's me different thing's!?

According to the cover, it's the front electrical socket (30a) but it only has a 15a in place.

The manual tell's me that it's the Engine Management (15a) and it does has a 15a fuse fitted.

I swapped fuse number 33 (Cigarette) with the below it in position 34.

Considering your problem, which do you think is telling the truth!?

What year and engine code and I'll check for you?

Lol, I know. What good is a fuse box label when it lies!
the car is 2004 '54 plate and is a 1.8T BEX.

Prior to August 2004 fuse 33 is cigarette lighter (15A) and fuse 34 (20A) is for:

G70 - Air mass meter
J299 - Secondary air pump relay
N80 - Activated charcoal filter system solenoid valve 1
N112 - Secondary air inlet valve
N144 - Left electrohydraulic engine mounting solenoid valve
N145 - Right electrohydraulic engine mounting solenoid valve
N156 - Variable intake manifold change-over valve
N220 - Exhaust flap valve
N276 - Fuel pressure regulating valve
Z19 - Lambda probe heater
Z28 - Lambda probe 2 heater
Z29 - Lambda probe 1 heater after catalytic converter
Z30 - Lambda probe 2 heater after catalytic converter
V144 - Fuel system diagnostic pump

From August 2004, fuse 34 is for a 12V socket and should be a 30A.

Seems your electrics were done before and your trim after August :laugh:. Try driving the car for a couple of engine cycles and hopefully the faults you generated by pulling fuse 34 should clear. Failing that, you need VCDS to clear them.

Moral of the story, spend a few pennies on some spare fuses and stow them in the spare fuse holders on the fuse panel :laugh:

lol, just my luck.

I happen to be going to my local Audi garage this weekend, i could mention it to them, but i guess they'll want to charge me for the pleasure?
Is it a simple job, just to wipe the error code?

Thank's for your help and time btw pal :)

No harm in asking them!

I'm fairly confident the emissions light will clear itself because the sensors have merely had no power when you tested your charger. I'm a diesel owner and I'm thinking along the lines of the common egr delete. A couple of engine cycles bring the emissions light on with newer ECUs then once the egr is re-established, the warning clears after another couple of cycles. Just go for a drive and see what happens!

Clearing the codes is simple if you have access to VCDS (don't pay Audi for the privledge). There's a thread on the main page where you can request assistance from forum members who have the tool. Be mindful that if you don't clear the codes then don't get caught up in a wild fault chase if you ever have a fault scan in the future. Basically, dashboard warnings will come and go dependent on current sensor states, etc but the ECU will store the codes that generated the fault condition in memory until cleared (airbags are an exception).

Hope this makes sense and you're welcome!

Reactions: itruk