Turbo Bearings Failed Again

davsin

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Here again. I replaced my turbo as my original snapped the shaft, but now the new on that has only done 300 miles has gone as well. It was suggested that the wrong oil has been put in, we used 5w40 fully synthetic and it could be oil starvation but there is plenty oil going in to the exhaust. The garage said they need to fix the turbo before they can diagnose the problem further to see if it is getting up to oil pressure, but I have just paid a £1000 bill for the last repair and the car is only valued as £2300 and it's a beautiful car fully colour coded in Denim Blue and a Quattro. Breaks my heart to say but I will need to sell it as is or break it for spares, but if anyone can suggest what the cause of knackering the bearings in the second turbo could be it would make the decision on how to move forward. There is a small oil leak on the Rocker gasket which maybe part of the issue and a P0011 Timing error code. Any help or comments appreciated.

This may not be what you want to hear, but - -

8-11-2012:
If the turbo fails on a high mileage diesel, then it's highly likely that the oil feed pipes to it are partially choked with carbon. Essential to replace them too or the new turbo may only last 1,000 miles.

See Audi A4 B7 2005 - Car Review | Honest John

Last edited:
So are we saying that as part of preventative maintenance it could be beneficial to remove the oil feed pipes to the turbo and clean them out or replace them ???? I'm all for getting the most out of my turbo even if it means getting dirty

can i ask the OP what sort of turbo was used as a replacement ??? was it a proper OEM part or one of these cheap eBay Turbo's that originate from China ??? I'm led to believe these Chinese turbos at the very least need stripping down and balancing before you try them

I used a reconditioned K03s turbo at £425 plus vat and the oil feed pipes were checked and steam cleaned, car is a petrol model.

Did you change the oil pic up in the sump? Could be a bad oil pump? Did you replace the oil feed pipes, I'm sure you are supposed to.

had the oil feed pipes steam cleaned, Haven't dropped the sump yet but someone has suggested the pick up pipe, oil feed pipes are pumping plenty of oil down the exhaust which draws me away from a pump problem. Got Oil from Audi coming this week, so it is defo the right oil, just need a turbo to test the engine at idle.

I doubt it's oil grade that has caused the problem i have used 5w40 in both my 1.8t engined audi's and that covers 5 years worth of driving

is it difficult to get the sump off? I was told the subframe needs to get dropped?
Where did you get the recon turbo from?
Bearings fail either due to oil starvation, oil contamination or not built properly. Who told you it was bearing failing? Have you spoken to the company that rebuilt the turbo?

oil starvation, just beacuse it's pooring into the exhaust doenst mean the pump is making 4 bar of oil pressure required to keep the bearing floating in oil