Looking for a motorway mile muncher. A4 1.9 TDI Auto a good shout?

nasop

Reaction score
I've just landed a great job but it's 45 miles each way, mostly on the M1 so my current Mk4 Golf 20v Turbo needs to go.

I love the look of the A4 Sport but know little about the 1.9 TDI engine or drive-train etc. Ideally I'm looking for something that will average over 50MPG on a clear run and not sink too low if stuck in traffic. Also, I'll be putting around 500 miles on it every week so need to know what fails and what I need to look out for when shopping for an A4.

I like the idea of an Auto because of the miles and traffic. Do they suffer from much less MPG than manual, and if so how much?

I've been looking around the 04 plate price range but many have 100K+ mileage. Is that an issue on a well maintained A4?

I'll have loads more questions but that's it for now :)

I would stay clear of autos myself, otherwise the 1.9tdi is a solid engine if maintained well hence why I went for it in the end but with a manual box.

I bought mine last year and it is an 04 with 50k miles so they do exist, but miles should not matter too much if maintained well.

The best auto would be a 2.5Tdi Quattro with the reliable tiptronic box but although it can do over 40mpg on a clear run it drops a lot in slower traffic.Great cars though but rarer .

I wouldnt get an auto you will lose a few MPG

depending on what type of driving your doing you could average low 50's to high 40's easily but if you start tonking it down the motorway at 70 plus this can easily drop off

the engines are solid and with the right oil changes will go forever

i find wifes 20vt mk4 really good on fuel - not that difficult to get just below 40 mpg taking it easy on a run and there are not usually any massive bill potentials with the petrol (injectors / pump on tdi's).

Having said that my old mk4 130 gt tdi was REALLY impressive on fuel - guessing a fair bit better than the A4 if the comparison on 1.8t's in both car is anything to go by?

Compared to my 1.8t 190 avant which really struggles!

Good luck

i find wifes 20vt mk4 really good on fuel - not that difficult to get just below 40 mpg taking it easy on a run and there are not usually any massive bill potentials with the petrol (injectors / pump on tdi's).

Mine returns those figures to but when you're having to drive carefully on a 90 mile round trip, five days a week, it's going to drive me crazy. The golf has been modified in the past with coilovers which need replacing so that's another nail in its coffin.

It boils down to refinement and economy. I'm trying to find a balance between them.

You cant go wrong really with an A4 1.9dti Sport........more so if it is a late one with the GMBH/S-line kit fitted from factory.

If its economy your after - look at B6 Passat's - I had a 55' plate 2.0TDi as a courtesy car last week, couldn't believe the MPG on the motorway, was averaging 58.
Almost 20MPG better than my 2.5TDi A4.

The B6 Passats are around the same money as the B6 A4 - not as nice inside but if its MPG your after.

If its economy your after - look at B6 Passat's - I had a 55' plate 2.0TDi as a courtesy car last week, couldn't believe the MPG on the motorway, was averaging 58.
Almost 20MPG better than my 2.5TDi A4.

The B6 Passats are around the same money as the B6 A4 - not as nice inside but if its MPG your after.
I would not believe the DIS on the b6 passat, even PD 130 on 15" wheels struggles to do that ! As above, if you need true 60 Mpg then an older b5 a4 1.9 Tdi AFN/AVG/AHH/AHU will do that all day long !

i have just bought an 03 passat saloon 1.9tdi 130 manual with 140k on the clock fill vw history drives superb all for £1600, don't buy an auto they will be trouble

i agree with what you say but i do feel if you are after saving money then stick with what you've got as the 1.8t WILL give good mpg if thats what your after - getting an 'old' new car normally involves spending money after it's been purchased so you wont really 'save' any money over the next year or two....

obviously if you fancy a change and like the A4 then the 1.9tdi is the one to go I'd say (and they are a great engine - far better than the newer diesel engines imo)