Possible End To My 2.5 TQS - Fuel Pump?

steamship

Reaction score
Decided to go out and take some photos this evening. Car has been running smoothly since all the belts were changed. Was doing 70mph on a stretch of dual carriageway when I lost all power. Car just ground to a halt. Tried restarting it but wouldn't fire. Popped the bonnet and looked for anything 'suspicious' as I'm not a mechanic and couldn't find anything. Called my brother who lives just a few miles from where I stopped and then waited. Tried restarting a few times but nothing.

Half a tank of diesel. No warning lights or messages. What I did notice was that if I just left the ignition on for about 30 seconds, the glow plug light starts to flash.

Anyway, got the car to my brothers house. He loosened the fuel lines and diesel is getting through when I turn it over, but he said it wasn't much, and should be coming through under pressure. The car is now with him and the mechanic will be checking it tomorrow.

Now that I'm back home, I've been Googling this past half hour or so, and the news doesn't look good. Either the pump has gone or the ECU in it has gone, and the options available aren't cheap, including the option to scrap the car!

What's more annoying is that I've been making little mods on it since I got it, and I was starting to like what I had done. I've taken photos of the various mods, and haven't even got around to starting a thread here on it, and now this.

Will post an update tomorrow evening... if I'm in a good mood.

Personally I'd get it repaired, cost of repairs will outweigh amount lost when selling/scrapping a broken car.

Last edited:
DIESEL BOB's will supply a reconditioned pump for around the £600 mark and then get it fitted and coded to your car and your off again. |Whats the mileage your on? they usually go around the 150k mark

DIESEL BOB's will supply a reconditioned pump for around the £600 mark and then get it fitted and coded to your car and your off again. |Whats the mileage your on? they usually go around the 150k mark

Thanks for the name. Just over 135k. £600 is a lot when the car only cost me £1500, and already spent £500 getting all the belts etc done a few months back. Am working my way around the local breakers, but nothing so far, and even if I can locate one, I suspect they'll want around £600 anyway, going by other bits I've tried getting from them. Will keep checking until the mechanic confirms the problem.

Let us know either way - I am after a few parts for my 2.5TDi Quattro, so if you decide to break I will take a few things from you.

Let us know either way - I am after a few parts for my 2.5TDi Quattro, so if you decide to break I will take a few things from you.
What do you need ? I have a b6 v6 tdi audi i might break for parts and also a b6 1.9 tdi quattro...both saloon's !

Thanks for the name. Just over 135k. £600 is a lot when the car only cost me £1500, and already spent £500 getting all the belts etc done a few months back. Am working my way around the local breakers, but nothing so far, and even if I can locate one, I suspect they'll want around £600 anyway, going by other bits I've tried getting from them. Will keep checking until the mechanic confirms the problem.
I have a working injector pump from a 120k audi a4 saloon which i can sell for £350 posted, breaking full car so everything bar the engine is available ! I might fix the engine as well and sell as a runner if enough interest is shown !

I have a working injector pump from a 120k audi a4 saloon which i can sell for £350 posted, breaking full car so everything bar the engine is available ! I might fix the engine as well and sell as a runner if enough interest is shown !

Cheers. I'll keep that in mind while I shop around... and then wait for news from the mechanic.