Chris NottVolks Autos
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dualmono21

Thread: Need some help with stripping out the interior

  1. #1
    Amir's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    75

    Need some help with stripping out the interior

    Evening,

    I have a B6 A4 Avant, I need to install some RCAs and rearrange some other aftermarket wiring that runs from the front of the car to the rear. As it currently stands I think the most vacant side of the car is the drivers side, I already have quite a few runs of power and ground wire down the passenger side so not sure if there's enough room for more wiring.

    As per the pic below....



    I intend on doing this with a friend however I haven't really stripped out the interior before. From my experience of removing trims before it can be quite tricky but in the end I've managed to get the job done. Is there anyone who can offer some advice or tips for this tremendous task? A link to a guide or two would be much appreciated if possible, it'd also prove to be invaluable for the future as I have a water leak that I need to track down too!

    Thanks.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,058
    running wires into your boot is so easy all you have to do it remove the bottom half of the rear seat.. you will find a few holes once you remove the lower part of the seat.. you can run wires into your boot then all you need to do is remove the plactic trim that sits at the bottom of your still inside the car and tuck the wires in there...remember power down one side rca and the other

  4. #3
    Amir's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by vr6gordy View Post
    running wires into your boot is so easy all you have to do it remove the bottom half of the rear seat.. you will find a few holes once you remove the lower part of the seat.. you can run wires into your boot then all you need to do is remove the plactic trim that sits at the bottom of your still inside the car and tuck the wires in there...remember power down one side rca and the other
    Thanks for your reply. The only part I was worrying about was routing the wires at the front end but after some reflection I don't think it will be that hard. I will be getting a copy of elsawin anyway just for reference and I'm sure it will make things a little easier in the future too.

    As for the power and RCA separation, no need to worry there, this isn't your average install

    Audi A4 Avant - 2 15" Fi SP4 - SPL Dynamics D6 - Dual 210a Alts - SPL & Streetbass - Talk Audio

  5. #4
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,058
    wow is one battery plenty to power that beast think i would run a split charge and have 2 batterys there or even a massive power cap

  6. #5
    Amir's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    75
    I have two aftermarket premium AGM batteries in the back with one up front but more importantly I have dual alternators up front that can produce around 500a of power on demand; more than enough

  7. #6
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,058
    guess your running 0 guage cable then ... maybe whip out the center console and run the wire there ... thats only place you will be able to hide it as its very very thick

  8. #7
    Amir's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    75
    All the power cable has been run as per the above pic - in total 3 runs of 0 gauge, just some minor wiring needs doing alongside replacing a dodgy pair of RCAs which seem to be inducing some noise.

  9. #8
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    barnsley
    Posts
    1,020
    keep the rca cables as far away as possible from the power wires
    finding access to the interior from the battery tray varies upon model but some dont even have a grommet so its a case of out with the drill im afraid
    some have a grommet underneath the main battery leading into the cabin , others have to use the pollen filter grommet
    if you remove the front seats be carefull with the airbag connectors and make sure youve dissconnected the battery

    front seats then outer trim starting at kickwell on both sides
    you will have to remove the entire length of the vehicle as they all interlock
    then if you want you can remove centre console and lastly carpet
    Amir likes this.
    2003 pearlescent black s4 avant tiptronic - milltek exhaust - pre cats removed - remapped ...
    koni adjustable suspension front and rear
    alpine f1 dvi9990 -pxah990 headunit and processor - alpine d511r
    4 x focal 5ws midbass drivers - focal audiom 6w midrange - focal tce tweeters - velodyne df 12 sc servo controlled subwoofer
    3 x phoenix gold zpa 0.5 amplifiers

  10. #9
    Amir's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by dualmono21 View Post
    keep the rca cables as far away as possible from the power wires
    finding access to the interior from the battery tray varies upon model but some dont even have a grommet so its a case of out with the drill im afraid
    some have a grommet underneath the main battery leading into the cabin , others have to use the pollen filter grommet
    if you remove the front seats be carefull with the airbag connectors and make sure youve dissconnected the battery

    front seats then outer trim starting at kickwell on both sides
    you will have to remove the entire length of the vehicle as they all interlock
    then if you want you can remove centre console and lastly carpet
    Very helpful. I'll probably strip the lot and see if I can trace my water leak at the same time. I'll update the thread once I've got the job done but thanks again for all your replies.

  11. #10
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,058
    water leak .. check around the battery in the engine bay drainage holes might be blocked... easy fix find the rubber gromit and remove it

  12. #11
    Amir's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by vr6gordy View Post
    water leak .. check around the battery in the engine bay drainage holes might be blocked... easy fix find the rubber gromit and remove it
    Already done along with some of the door seals. The best way is for me to physically see where the water actually enters in from and then take action.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone with 1.9 tdi , need some help with n75 valve and secondary air valve
    By Nath-rszt in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 17th February 2013, 21:59
  2. Need some help with a fault code please?
    By DaveA3-TDI in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10th November 2011, 09:39
  3. I need some help with some fault codes please
    By DaveA3-TDI in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 19th May 2011, 16:14
  4. Guys need some help with my screwed haldex.
    By Mr.G in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 27th April 2011, 22:19
  5. Need some help with Elsawin
    By Staz in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 14th August 2008, 11:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO