Winter tyres on an A4 Quattro

Skandhaless

Reaction score
Pointless overspend or, just finishing the job "if you have quattro you might as well make it the best you can" ?

I ask because the one i have bought has 4 Goodyears on that look as if they will last to the winter , they will be expensive enough to replace but to do it in winter wear will be more again . Do i need to or will the quattro take care of most things in a standard uk winter on normal boolers ( i wont be going far if its that bad but do a bit of rural driving in weardale as a matter of course )

Boolers, haven't heard that word for a while lol.

You'll get good traction in the Quattro in icy and snowy condition but will still suffer the same reduction in braking and handling as everyone else on summer tyres.

I live in Dorset, and we don't get the most snow in the country, but snow is snow.... and I've never felt the need in honesty. You're far more likely to be obstructed by the BMW in front that your own lack of progress. That said, there is of course far more benefit to winter tyres than just grip in the snow.

My Quattro is running 19" wheels and lowered suspension but still coped well with the extremely bad snow we had in North Wales at Easter.

There is no substitute for winter tyres and quattro, it's AWESOME, the only thing that stops progress is those non believers wh don't have winter tyres. Buy a set of 16in rims and 205/55/16 winters i love nokian personally and you are good to go

As said above there is no substitute, winter tyres are great, I personaly always choose Gislaved as these are great on ice/snow but also wear realy well when the roads are black. I run 235/18s which are never going to be ideal on the slippy stuff but quattro does its stuff and normal road tyres are ok as long as you know their limits.
I live remotely up a hill with private track outside Aviemore, Highlands, we get snow.
Engage 1st, release clutch, no or very little throttle, car will drive itself (tdi) through most snow unless the snow is so wet and deep that you cant stay on top and the car gets bellied. Going up my drive I disengage ESP and keep it going in 3rd or 4th.

Winter past, I spun 90 degrees on black ice, within an instant the ESP had put me back facing the right way, it has its place.
Winter tyres may well have prevented the loss of grip in the first place though as they are good and sticky even well below zero degrees C.
I would have a full set of Gislaved winters on if I could afford them, with spare wheels.

Reactions: Laurie P
Seem to be a load of cheap winters about, not as pricey as i thought if you shop about . Think i will bite the bullit and get some, if i run them opposite a standard set the two sets should do me the 3 years i think i will have the motor . Dont know about spare wheels like , might just get a local part worn shed to swap them about each year.

just looking about these seem to get rave reviews , i am no boy racer so they might do the job
Kleber Quadraxer | the Kleber Quadraxer reviewed and rated | the online tyre guide

Last edited:
If its not been done in a while it may be worth getting the car 4 wheel aligned so you have the best chance of your tyres lasting as quattros are a little harder on tyres. Rotating fronts to rear to get even wear is also worthwhile.
Winter wheels are good if you want to keep your smart alloys nice and salt free. Also as mentioned, a smaller narrower set would be better for winter anyway.

If its not been done in a while it may be worth getting the car 4 wheel aligned so you have the best chance of your tyres lasting as quattros are a little harder on tyres. Rotating fronts to rear to get even wear is also worthwhile.
Winter wheels are good if you want to keep your smart alloys nice and salt free. Also as mentioned, a smaller narrower set would be better for winter anyway.

would a 4 wheel alignment get done at a service or is it by special request ?
i am only on 205/55/16 anyway so they should do if i stick the klebers on ( see my edit above )

mmmm... scratch that the klebers look crap...however better all year rouind touring tyres may be the way to go

Last edited:
Alignment not in service schedule (that I know of). By request, Audi did mine.

I keep toying with the idea of selling my winter 16's and winter tyres to free up some space in shed for the ever growing amount of kids garden toys that keep finding their way in there, but part of me thinks it'll be a silly thing to do....

I put winter wheels and tyres on my S8 this year.... massive mistake and a waste of time...

the S4, still shod in 3mm "summer" tyres done just as well in the snow etc...

The S8 left really unstable, couldn't brake right, traction was worse.... all the things that winters are meant to help with.... I ended up using the S4 more... lol