1.9 TDi camshaft damper change?

ahorne2

Reaction score
I`m about to replace the cambelt on an 02 A4 Avant 130 (85k) and wondered if anyone has any advice on whether it is necessary to replace the camshaft vibration damper at the same time (I don`t think I have any symptoms of wear)

I also intend to check/replace the auxiliary drive belt system, no apparent issues, but wondered if any advice is out there (I plan to check the alternator pulley clutch) on other common areas to pay attention to and how to diagnose

Thanks for any advice in advance

First check that yours has one fitted. Some have the hydraulically damped tensioning roller, others just have a friction roller. Just pop the top cambelt cover off and it should be easy to spot. A cambelt kit will come with a new tensioner and idler pully but not sure about the damper as mine has the friction tensioner. If yours does have the hydraulic damper then no harm in changing it as going by your mileage, everything will be original.

Get the proper locking tools Locking Tool Set - VW/Audi | Tools in Stock, UK, selling Draper Tools, Sealey Tools, Laser timing tools, Gunson and Kamasa hand tools and power tools - air power tools, air tools, body shop, compressors, electric power, motorcycl. Don't use the tippex method...you could get it right but why take the risk!? Defo change the water pump and give the engine block a flush. You may as well change the aux belt as it has to all come off anyway. I put a new aux tensioner in too. And, yeah, check the alternator clutch...a flick of the wrist but keeping hold and the internals of the alternator should spin on briefly.

Access to VCDS is useful to check the timing afterwards. Even with locking it all up, the new belt will be tighter so the timing won't be bang on. Worst case scenario is the engine is sluggish and mpg is reduced. Ideally, check before putting the aux belt back on!

Welcome to the forum and good luck!!!

Thanks for the quick feedback, but I`m a little unclear if you are talking about the cambelt tensioner or cambelt pulley

If you are referring to the camshaft pulley, how do I differentiate between the types, ascertain if it really needs replacing and source a replacement (other than from a Stealer)?

Thanks again

I agree, it s a confusing area if you're not familiar with everything. I'll use links to GSF Car Parts to explain what's what.

Hydraulic tensioning roller which bolts to the damper
OR
Friction tensioning roller

Idler roller

If you get a cambelt kit it wll come with tensioner, idler and new nuts but not the damper. As the damper is hydraulic, I'd replace it.

Crankshaft pulley - this is the part which is probably causing confusion as Audi call it a vibration damper. This bolts onto the crankshaft sprocket and drives the auxillary belt. I would only replace this if the ribs are damaged or it's damaged in any other way.

To add further confusion there are also two types of aux belt tensioner but again, easily identifiable by eye

Aux tensioner 1 and aux tensioner 2

Also note that there are two lengths of aux belt for models with air con and those without.

Hope this makes things clearer now. Any more help and I'll be fitting it for you! :laugh:

Hi again, and thank you for a most comprehensive response - unfortunately I believe we are still talking about different items !

Although I now have a better understanding of the various cambelt and auxbelt systems/components, I`m still seeking to understand the CAMSHAFT damper pulley like this:
AUDI VW SEAT SKODA CAMSHAFT PULLEY / VIBRATION DAMPER 038109111E 039109239B | eBay
(not the CRANKSHAFT, but a similar principal of isolation)

Thanks

Ah, the camshaft sprocket and hub (Audi names)! The sprocket is driven by the belt via the crank and the hub has the tabs to indicate camshaft position to the ecu via the camshaft sensor. Two pieces of steel/ally...I'd wouldn't imagine there would be any problems with it. By removing this you would seriously risk messing up your engine...unless you're happy re-aligning your camshaft.

Check out this thread for some tips if you're doing it yourself

I think we got there in the end! :laugh: