Badger5EM Tuning
    imported_Macduff

Check your wheels

I rotated my wheels yesterday as the fronts are wearing out at an alarming rate.

Anyway, fronts came off no problem but both rears were almost welded onto the hub. It took a fair bit of kicking and swearing to get them to shift. What surprised me was that they've gone like that in only 14 months and 9k miles. Hopefully the smear of copper slip on each hub will make it easier the next time.

Luckily this was on my driveway in the sunshine and not on the side of some road at night in the rain. Worth checking yours before you're stuck with a flat tyre somewhere nasty.

Dave

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

Re: Check your wheels

My OEM wheels used to do that all the time. It was like they'd reacted with the metal on the hub and welded themselves to it. Never had the problem with the RS reps though.

Grumpy Old Man

Status

Rotated mine last weekend. As far as I can recall, the last time the wheels were off was in January of this year when it was serviced, but they came off just fine. The hubs (& the studs) were still liberally coated in copper slip as well, so i just whacked 'em straight back on.

Grumpy Old Man

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Luckily this was on my driveway in the sunshine and not on the side of some road at night in the rain. Worth checking yours before you're stuck with a flat tyre somewhere nasty.

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgot to add, but another thing you don't want to be stuck with at the roadside on a wet night is a flat spare, so don't forget to include the spare next time you check your pressures. I did for the first time in months on Sunday, & it had about 20psi in it.

imported_Macduff

[ QUOTE ]
    Forgot to add, but another thing you don't want to be stuck with at the roadside on a wet night is a flat spare, so don't forget to include the spare next time you check your pressures. I did for the first time in months on Sunday, & it had about 20psi in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Been there before [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

4th Gear

Status

Mine did the same, took a 4lb lump hammer to get them off. have copper grease all over the face of hubs now...

Neutral

Status

Guess what i did today!! 3 wheels well stuck on. The other thing to check on new cars is that you can undo the nuts! Did the big wheel arch spring clean and couldn't undo one wheel at all. Then found out the local mechanic had sold up to a new guy, luckily he still allowed me to borrow his breaker bar.
    Chas

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Rotated mine last weekend. As far as I can recall, the last time the wheels were off was in January of this year when it was serviced, but they came off just fine. The hubs (& the studs) were still liberally coated in copper slip as well, so i just whacked 'em straight back on.

[/ QUOTE ]

do not put copper slip or any lube of any type on your studs as it will increase the torque/stress on them and they can snap as your driving and your wheel/wheels falling off

on the hubs is ok but keep away for the stub holes

Grumpy Old Man

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

do not put copper slip or any lube of any type on your studs as it will increase the torque/stress on them and they can snap as your driving and your wheel/wheels falling off

[/ QUOTE ]

I always use a torque wrench to make sure they're not over-tightened.

imported_bubstar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I always use a torque wrench to make sure they're not over-tightened.

[/ QUOTE ]

But what Pete is trying to tell you all is the grease on the threads will make you OVER TIGHTEN - even with a torque wrench............ Try to keep the threads free of grease.

BUB [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

Agree. I've had the same problem... had a piece of wood and hit the rims with a hammer to get mine off!! I used some copper grease on the hub. This is where it was stuck! Be a bummer to have to call breakdown to change a wheel!!

1st Gear

Status

This problem has existed on every car I've own. It's actually pretty common. I just put some antiseize on the hub before putting the wheels back on.