Wipers squeaking, banging. ARE they right ones?

krisavant

Reaction score
Since I've had car (1 year) the wipers has never run smooth across the windscreen.
The ones that were on there when I bought the car were retrofit and were rubbish so replaced with Bosch retro fit but were still awfull, then tried Valeo and still same outcome.
They all clear the rain fine but squeak, judder and sometimes bang.
Anyone any ideas??
I'm thinking I need to go back to the old style 'conventional' wipers and not 'retrofit'??

The squeaking could be the spring inside the wiper arm, try lubricating it with some wd40 (obviously not getting any on the windscreen itself) mine was squeaking big time and it was well annoying (I have the B7 aero wipers as well) the knocking could be it hitting the A pillar when it's in motion, if it is that then the wiper arm will need to be removed and moved down towards the scuttle panel by a few teeth on the spline where the wiper arm bolts on to, this should stop the wiper arm just short of hitting the A pillar when in motion then.

Like Az says, my aero wipers were catching the A pillar on the drivers side. It was rubbing the plastic trim on the pillar and appeared to have coated the windscreen with a plastic film. Adjusted like Az describes and a couple of goes with some glass polish sorted it.

The banging is the wiper bouncing on the windscreen. Sorry should have made that more clear.
The wipers sit perfect and don't hit the pillar.

I've got rain x on there also.

The wipers just won't glide, even in heavy rain.

Will the b7 aero wipers be a direct fit or do i need the arms?

wipers can bang when the pivot on the arm goes (wears at the blade end) they effectively flick from one direction to t'other at the end of travel and you get the 'bang' noise - the only cure is new arms if that's the case. The mech wears too under the scuttle panel.

b7 arms a straight swap (if you can get the old ones off ok) the part numbers are in the sticky and i got mine from a stealer for about £67 for arms and £21 for the two aero-blades

The passenger side wiper on the arm is a bit wobbly, but thought that was the norm.

New b7 arms it is then!

Thanks guys!!

Means we're on the wiper subject...
Is there another style 'rear' wiper out there to replace the chunky one for the back screen??
E.g golf mk6 rear wiper etc... Or something as slim line as those?

Means we're on the wiper subject...
Is there another style 'rear' wiper out there to replace the chunky one for the back screen??
E.g golf mk6 rear wiper etc... Or something as slim line as those?

I believe the "slimmest" option is to remove and blank :laugh:

I believe the "slimmest" option is to remove and blank :laugh:

Tempted, very tempted!
If there is no slim line type I will.

Gonna look into the new Avants & passats first to see what rear wipers they have, taking measurements and spray pattern first into consideration.

Squeaking, juddering, banging wipers sorted!!
Pinched the end of the wiper arm with pliers so it grips the wiper blade better and gives it a tight snug fit.
Now wiper doesn't wobble around/judder going across windscreen.
Temperamental? We'll see.

Don't think rain x is helping with the glide either...

Lovely - but, B7 arms and aero blades are SOOOOOOOO much better!