B6 tdi strange noise from air box on idle thumping sound....???

samsam

Reaction score
Hi,

wonder if anybody can help me 1.9tdi awx

Started the car this morning and a loud thumping noise from the engine bay after a closer look I removed the air ducting cowling from the top of the air and there was the noise but louder its something I haven't noticed ever before...

run the car about about 15-20 miles and parked up done my shopping return and started the car and the noise wasn't there removed the cowling on the air box again the noise was there once removed but not as loud as before just don't have a clue what it was????

has this happened to anybody before

thanks

sam

thumping in the airbox is a sign of a dropped valve!

although it doesnt usually get quieter it would be that same all the time or louder when reved

Well when I revved it when the noise was there I couldn't here the thumping at all only on idle...? How could you find out a valve has dropped? Would it be expensive to fix ...? Started the engine a few times just can't get the noise to come back.? Weird it was on of them when u hear something unusual and not heard before ... Hope it's not to drastic

thanks

Worn camshaft and lifters, take the rocker cover and look at the cam lobes and compare them for wear...

if its not their all the time or when you rev then it wont be a valve as you would know

check the cam and lifters as mentioned above

I wouldn't no what I'm looking for tbh but would it cost a lot to fix??

Am I ok to run the car and how much would I be looking at to fix if it the cam lifters?? Would I be doing damage if run?

Thanks

anybody???

would this damage the engine running the car? Cost to fix a ruf price

Ta