Badger5Monster Motorsport

Thread: Rust....

T0m
    2nd Gear

Status

Rust....

Took my rear numberplate off after having to drill out the completly seized numberplate screws as Ive got some rust that is being repaired next week, then I jet washed the flaking paint off and while I was cleaning the area I noticed about 3 or 4 more rust spots bubbling from behind the paint work (see red circles on the first picture) which I wouldnt of noticed unless I took the numberplate off either of the spots were the size of that big rust patch ive got.

Im going to pop into Audi again and see what they say as they are clearly not related to the numberplate rubbing on my paintwork as they say that big rust spot started out being just that.......bet they fob me off.

IMG_0831.jpg IMG_0829.jpg

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I have worked on loads of different makes and models that suffer from small rust spots behind the number plate. Obviously the large rust would be caused by the bottom edge of the number plate slowly wearing away the paint and then eventually the rust starts to set in. The theory we have come to regarding the other small rust spots are either a poor previous repair or grit accumulating behind the plate over time and again rubbing against the paint. I have seen some pretty sharp grit on the rear of numberplates before when taken off and the related deep scratching on the panel. Also as the recess is a water trap and especially over winter with road salt gathering behind the number plate can cause damage quickly and is unfortunately hardly ever noticed before its too late. I always tend to used strong double sided tape to hold my plates on all the way round quite close to the edge. I find it helps stop the number plate flexing and rubbing the paint and also any dirt and grit will not get as far behind the plate so making it easier to get rid of it all when you wash your car.

Let us know how you get on with the dealers. My s4 is going in soon as ive got a bit coming through by the roof seam and dont fancy getting involved myself unless totally necessary so fingers crossed
    2003 S4 Moro Blue Saloon

T0m
    2nd Gear

Status
    Got nowhere with the stealer he didnt want to know, its funny as the rust spots have smaller rust spots circling the little dot of rust its really weird.

Still my mates a sprayer and he is going to repair it all for me, the back of my number plate wasnt that dirty to be fair and they are weird rust spots nothing to do with previous repairs as Ive had the car from 2 years old but I tell you what if I was anyone Id have my rear plate off to look for hidden rust just in case.

What do people think about sillcone around the edges to stop water getting behind the plate in future or using something similar?

Loving the anonymity

Status
    Wonder whether excessive sticky pads would stop the number plate moving so much? I wouldn't think the 2 screws will offer any support in the middle, but two long strips the length of the plate will do.

Plus, they remove the need for the ugly screws too, win win!

Also, does anyone wonder whether the commonly leaking rear washer jet might be a cause of some rust too?

1st Gear

Status
    IMHO silicone may be quite hard to remove from the panel after a while so could prove very difficult to remove the plate at a later date. I just went for a continuous line of fairly thick double sided tape and just made sure there were minimal gaps between the strips. This also reduces almost all flex and looks tidier i think
    2003 S4 Moro Blue Saloon

T0m
    2nd Gear

Status
    Finally all done.......

Before;
    IMG_0829.jpg

After
    IMG_1508.jpg