How can I disconnect the centre speaker?

AndyMac

Retired from service
Reaction score
Don't really want to rewire the front doors (although I know I should), but I spent a few hours doing this on my 2.8Q and it made no difference to the sound, so can't be ***** to do it on the B6 Avant. I've had a look with the glovebox out but the thing is buried so far forward there doesn't seem to be anyway to get to it from underneath.
Any suggestions?

Hi,

From the harness you can see the centre is fed from the front speakers just a case of cutting one of the wires going to the centre and insulating, I did this after putting my own head unit in my S-line as the centre was just clipping all the time with the increased power from the head unit, once this was done all was fine.

Cheers

Nice one thanks, I hoped that was the case but didn't want to pull the HU again just to find out I was wrong, Audi wiring isn't usually that simple. I'll post a pic later.

on the air vent on the dash in front of the speaker Carefully prise off the cover around the blob that sticks up under the cover is a screw for the blob under the blob is the screw for the vent and speaker grill
if this helps

Yes, the centre speaker runs bridged across the 2 front speaker connections via thinner wires than the main fronts. Wow what a difference. That centre speaker seems to be tuned to provide all the harsh treble and "baby crying" middle on your favorite tracks.
Just cover it up with an A-Z and hear the difference. I'm guessing its there primarily to boost dialogue (like a surround sound centre speaker), its certainly not much good for anything else, maybe connected to a handsfree kit it would serve a useful purpose.

I did exactly that with my centre speaker, hooked up a bluetooth hand free kit to it.

i have navi+ and my centre speaker don't work anyway, i did some work on an A4 and this had a concert hu and now i can see or hear should i say what the fuss is about , god it sounded s**t untill i covered it