Real world mpg 2.5 tdi 180 quattro vs 1.9tdi 130 quattro

Ian2012

Reaction score
What do people get out of their cars, looking to change my current A4 to a diesel one as i am doing way more miles than i expected to be doing, just not sure which engine to go for.

Ta

ian

2.5TDi q driven hard on A/B roads (no motorways) gives me a consistent 33mpg.

If the car is high mileage then the nozzles might be worn as well, my FWD b6 1.9Tdi pd 130 returns 44Mpg average, 495 miles to a full tank. Best i had was 600 miles driven like Miss Daisy !

300 Bhp v6 tdi quattro audi a6 avant returns 48 Mpg average but it has new turbo, new injectors and freshly rebuilt engine. Last tank gave me also 495 miles but it was driven flat out. Recently with a boost leak (ruptured boost hose) it did not get lower than 32Mpg...

If you want good fuel economy out of a v6 tdi then you need to pull the injectors and pop test them/replace if worn, that will return some of the lost Mpg, my other allroad gained 2L per 100Km when swapped the old nozzles to new Bosio PP683... in a 2 Tonne 4 wheel drive car with aerodynamics of a wardrobe that's a massive improvement !

I used to do a lot of motorway miles in my 2.5 QS and it regularly returned around 38 mpg. Nowadays it only gets used around town and is giving 33 mpg. The 1.9 engine is better on fuel but the V6 is better to drive.

after 21,000 miles steadily driven - typically a 40 mile A road journey with a small bit of town driving (rarely at motorway speeds) 40.7mpg.

I get 34 mpg literally everyday driving to work and that's on A road dual carriage ways with quite a few round abouts and traffic light to keep you stopping, and on a motorway run that goes up to 46 mpg.

1.9 130, 2WD, 52mpg, the best tank I have had so far is 682

I'd second this, i did this type of milage on a tank in my 2002 1.9 TDI (PD) 130 bhp passat. Before remap to 165BHP I got over 650 MPG, after 610ish but loads more torque and it was still pulling like a steam train with 200K on the clock.

2003 B6 A4 1.9TDI Quattro 130 with 116k on the clock...

Usually averages around 470-490 miles per tank with driving mixed between town and b-road driving.. that translates into roughly 36-38mpg.

Best I've ever had was 580 miles from a tank on a motorway drive back up from Sussex to Yorkshire a couple of months ago (roughly 44mpg) Mind you, that was prior to an intake manifold and EGR clean and delete.. would expect more now as the car is comfortably doing another 20 or so miles per tank now its breathing better.

J

682 miles out of the 1.9's 70 litre tank is actually 44mpg, not 52.

I'm getting 40 mpg (calculated) over the 6 months I've had my 1.9 130 2wd

Manual may 70 litres but you can get more in than that, neck and associated pipework etc. So if yo uare going to work out MPG fill it (brim) run it for how ever long, further the better, record the millage and brim it again and hen work out "real" MPG, my 650+ run was calculated this way so I knew it was right.

P.s. this best figure was achieved by driving like miss daisy by the way.

i would average 590 - 600 miles per fully brimmed tank on a reguar basis and i did put 110k on the clcok. Bought the car with 89k, traded it in with 201k on the clcok nad every mile was done by me in a 3 year period. 112k / 3 = 37k per year

reg service the car never missed a beat, never let me down, dam good car!!! but I digress ......wavey lines, dream scene etc. lol.......wakey wakey, back to work!!!!!

682 miles out of the 1.9's 70 litre tank is actually 44mpg, not 52.

I'm getting 40 mpg (calculated) over the 6 months I've had my 1.9 130 2wd

I dont remember saying that the two were related? Thank you for whipping out your calculator and doing that basic maths for me. On that tank my average was indeed 44mpg. My best calculated journey mpg is 52, but then I'm no hypermiler so I'm sure more is possible.

The car is decatted and boxed and spends most of the time being driven like its stolen

Apologies but your statement was all one sentence, hence thought the figures related. :unsure:

My comute is 95% motorway and just after doing my Blacksmoke remap on my 1.9 TDi Avant Quattro i brimmed the tank and then stuck to 60 mph on the motorway , i got 680 miles out of that tank full and if as they say the Quattro has a smaller tank , 66 liters i beleive then that equates to 46.8 MPG which i think is really good... with the map the car is at 160 bhp but really torquey and a pleasure to drive.... don't get me wrong though if you start batting around streets driving it hard you can soon get that MPG down into the 30's... overall though i think a remaped 1.9 probably gives you the best of both worlds but i wouldn't want to hook it up to just FWD as it would munch through a set of front tyres in no time at all

2.5 TDI Quattro - I can just about hit 40mpg on the motorway when sitting around 65mph

2.5 TDI Quattro - I can just about hit 40mpg on the motorway when sitting around 65mph

Seriously??? The last motorway run I did where I was sat steady 70-80mph for around 35 miles mine hit an average of 46 mpg. On a 90 mile motorway drive it achieved an average of 51 mpg.

You guys need to remember that the factory quoted Mpg can only be achieved on standard 16" alloys and that most cars will have larger wheels with stickier rubber and the average Mpg will be much lower ! That's the trade off for looking good ! Also driving style makes big difference- smooth acceleration with loads of coasting in gear will return higher Mpg than a car sitting in traffic or with duff thermostats !
Point is that the v6 tdi is not as thirsty engine as some might believe and from a driveability point of view i will choose a larger displacement engine all the time especially if you do long trips on motorways ! Enjoy your cars and be happy with the choice you have, i know i am ! Cheers !

You guys need to remember that the factory quoted Mpg can only be achieved on standard 16" alloys and that most cars will have larger wheels with stickier rubber and the average Mpg will be much lower ! That's the trade off for looking good ! Also driving style makes big difference- smooth acceleration with loads of coasting in gear will return higher Mpg than a car sitting in traffic or with duff thermostats !
Point is that the v6 tdi is not as thirsty engine as some might believe and from a driveability point of view i will choose a larger displacement engine all the time especially if you do long trips on motorways ! Enjoy your cars and be happy with the choice you have, i know i am ! Cheers !

All very true..... who remembers the test they did on TopGear where they got a Prius to go round the track as quick as it could and then got an M3 to just keep up with it... the M3 returned better MPG because it wasn't being ragged like the Prius was