Banging noise when i stalled!!!

BGB

Reaction score
Hi,

Been a member in the wings for a while reading the how to's etc. Thanks for all the info, ive fixed alot of little issues with guides from here.

Alas now im in need of more advice. :(

Ive had my avant for about 2 months and yesterday was the first time i stalled it. There was an almighty bang when i lifted the clutch up and i actually thought id dropped the front wheel into a massive pot hole! It turns out i hadnt and the noise had come from the stall. My first thoughts were it was a gearbox issue, but the gear change etc is all as smooth as a 10 year old car on 108K would be expected to be.

So i think its my engine mounts now as i got the wife to stall it while i watched from the side. When she did the engine moved backwards and the noise was horrendus!!! :(

Ive read about the electric engine mounts and how they can fail. Is there anyway to replace these my self?

Can anyone offer anymore advice?

Thank you in advance.

Matt

yup its the mounts

not got any tips on replacement though

Most likely culprit will be the rear engine/gearbox mount, mine was knackered when I bought my a4 cost roughly £65 for a replacement from TPS and I paid a mechanic friend of mine £30 to fit it

theres s few of us who have had the problem including me and its always been the engine mounts

Than you gents,

Something for me to try and sort this week then. :)

Ok, one more question.

Anyone recommend a specific brand? OEM? Ebay used items?

Sorry, i know its an annoying question but im used to dealing with land rovers, and i know what manufacturers to avoid.

Thanks again