what tyres

ivor1

Reaction score
went to get rear tyres balanced today, guy says there,s no point because the tyre itself was all bumpy/ridged and this was causing my complaint ie noise and slight vibration at 85 -90 mph. the tyres have about two months driving left on them, to be honest i couldn,t see much wrong with them and thought he simply wanted me to splash out on 4 new tyres. What can you recoommend in a middle of the road tyre , previous continentals wore in 9500 miles so wouldn,t go there again .I am currently on vredsteins which have worn really well but have this balance /ridge issue. Please advise!__ tyre guy recomended goodyear f1 at£117 fitted each. (235x45x17).Is this good and how would they compare to pirelli p6?

85-90 MPH? hope that wasnt on a back street LOL

My last tyres were Pirelli P Zero Rosso's they handled ok and lasted 30k, and im no sunday driver, it might be worth paying that little extra for longer life.

Put on Goodyear F1 Eagles this time 10,000k on they still look like new!

Yep, F1's everytime (make sure they're GSD3's, the latest ones).
I just had my fronts done (225/40/18's) and got the pair for £230.

I'm starting to think about tyres as well. Currently on original Conti Sport Contact 2 that are 60% worn after only 8500 miles! The rears have only worn 1mm so I'll be rotating the tyres shortly but they obviously aren't going to last very long.

I had two sets of Bridgestone RE720 on our VW Bora and was pretty happy with them (>30k miles from 1st set). Might look at Bridgestone (anyone have comments on the RE050?) again or give these F1s a try.

thanks guys for your responses , i have been checking prices today and have got f1 for £105, and rossos for 98 though have got a good deal on them for less than vredstein ultracs, whats your verdict on the rossos, particularly for noise and wear? Im getting a really good deal on them through a friend.

Hi, try coopers what a tyre for the money, i've got 225 45 18's there as good as conties and eagles! there using them on A1 GP motors, obviously not the same ones as the road going tyres!

i am currently on F1 GSD3s - need replacing shortly - they have done 13,000miles - probably 2k left in them!

Has anyone used toyo proxes t1-r?

F1's are great, very low noise levels and great in wet or dry and if they can do about 13-15K you cant go wrong imo

thanks guys
the saga continues , put on the spare (a continental) last night and showed the vredestein to the supplier , he says it could be a weak shock absorber and recommended taking the car to dealer (still under warranty )so its booked in for tuesday . The dealer also mentioned a recall check to be carried out - some plate or other to go on the clutch casing so you can check if this applies to any of you . I will be interested to hear what our one and only audi dealer in N.I. can diagnose.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Ivor, Have you tried www.mytyres.co.uk. They're selling Eagle F1 GS-D3 225/45/17 for £83 per tyre at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good tip Mackaycc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

I found this site last week and they seem very reasonable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

BUB

thanks mackaycc
£85 seems good but they are wanting £10 per tyre delivery to NI and then £20 for a local guy to fit, so the £105 seems good from local HiQ - modern tyres supplier . there may be a wee bit more room for discount yet haven,t really started dealing yet!

Just had GSD3's all round last Saturday and already feeling the difference in road noise and comfort compared to the original Conti's

Just have to test grip limits but no regrets now or likely to be.

[ QUOTE ]
F1's are great, very low noise levels and great in wet or dry and if they can do about 13-15K you cant go wrong imo

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's a driving style thing, but I put a new of Michelin Pilot Primacies on a B5 2.8 Quattro a couple of years ago. They've done 18,000 miles now, and are barely half-worn. Still got 5mm all round.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe it's a driving style thing, but I put a new of Michelin Pilot Primacies on a B5 2.8 Quattro a couple of years ago. They've done 18,000 miles now, and are barely half-worn. Still got 5mm all round.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't Quattro give the tyres an easier life? I would have thought having power distributed through all 4 wheels would help.

If 18,000 miles is half worn then not only is quattro probably not being used much but neither is the right hand pedal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I can only assume lots of motorway miles.

The definition of good tyres depends on your criteria. It would appear that jdp1962 is happy with his due to the longevity.

I on the other had prefer a softer tyre giving better grip..but no so soft that it needs changing at less that 10-15k miles (unless used for trackdays etc).

As am example, say tyres cost £125. That's £500 for a seat over, for example 15,000 miles. That's around 3p per mile in tyres. Once you work out how much you pay for fuel, depreciation etc it doesn't seem worth going for cheap or long wearing hard tyres.

But everyones requirements are different.

got the car checked out on tuesday everything sorted out , and have new f1s in place.The car seems to be driving so much smoother but the weather has been so bad haven,t had a chance to push up the speed . pleased any way, and got a really good price on them.thanks guys for your info.

Yes have to agree with you there Scotty, tyres that wear well are just not doing their job properly.
It's a balancing act between wear & grip, there's no magic tyre that is excellent at both, just one that gets the balance right. I think the F1 does that pretty well.

I went from Continentals, to Pilot sport PS2s, to F1s - the F1s after reading a lot of input here.

Agree with everyone here - F1s masses better than the PS2s, a really good feel to the car now.. Longevity dont know yet, but I only got 13,500 out of a set of four PS2s, despite a lot of motorway miles, so would agree with ScoTTys comments!