Volks AutosSky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

Audi '3212' tool / alternative for alternator removal

Hi guys,

My alternator has packed in, so as usual I went at it without doing my homework. Got the top bolt out, can't get the bottom one out, need to take the fan off, can't.

Done some research and need a '3212' tool to hold the pulley while I crack the bolt holding the fan.

Any suggestions on where to get one or make a DIY alternative?

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    I changed one of these yesterday at work you need an 8mm allen key to undo the bolt holding the fan pulley from behind and I used an oil filter removal tool to hold the pulley so to not damage the pulley and it worked perfectly

8K xenon upgrade-LED side lights-LED number plate bulbs-Apex springs-B5 perches-Votex front & rear valance, side skirts, roof spoiler-LED Fog re-wired as DRL's-DRL's wired as see you home lights-Rear lights tinted-centre box removed-4" tail pipes-LCR front splitter-Spacers Front18mm Rear19mm-S4 door blades-RS4 style grill-B7 aero wipers-K sport 8 pot caliper 356mm 2 piece discs - 19x8.5 Cades Apollo wheels-De-chromed roof bars and window surrounds-Engine bay tart up-Window tints-RS4 rear ARB

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks mate I appreciate the reply. I assume you mean a sort of tool like this and not the chain type? As I would have thought the chain might damage the pulley?

Halfords | Halfords Advanced Professional Oil Filter Removal Band

Cheers

2nd Gear

Status
    Very similar but mine has a rubber strap but that will work, you would need to release one side of the strap on that tool to feed it round the pulley and reconnect and tighten up to hold it

8K xenon upgrade-LED side lights-LED number plate bulbs-Apex springs-B5 perches-Votex front & rear valance, side skirts, roof spoiler-LED Fog re-wired as DRL's-DRL's wired as see you home lights-Rear lights tinted-centre box removed-4" tail pipes-LCR front splitter-Spacers Front18mm Rear19mm-S4 door blades-RS4 style grill-B7 aero wipers-K sport 8 pot caliper 356mm 2 piece discs - 19x8.5 Cades Apollo wheels-De-chromed roof bars and window surrounds-Engine bay tart up-Window tints-RS4 rear ARB

2nd Gear

Status
    another way I've done it before is using an old aux belt cut it and feed it round the pulley bring the two side together so it's tight round the pulley then with a pair of vice grips clamp the 2 sides together using the vice grips as a lever you can hold the pulley tight, this way works too without damaging the pulley

Reverse Gear

Status
    OK buddy I get the type you mean now - thanks for the help!