Volks AutosAH Fabrications
    Neutral

Status

Exclamation B6 S4 Delphi Alternator Removal

Time for a new thread with a more appropriate title, from my old thread where I changed the alternator belt, tensioner and idler:

B6 S4 - Alternator belt shredded, valve cover gaskets gone?

I now need to replace the alternator (short version, didn't put coolant hose back on properly so alternator exploded - pics to follow when I get the damn thing off). I'm struggling to find a guide to get this Delphi unit off - ElsaWin handily shows it "with the engine removed", and there's nowt I can find on the forum or the net.

I've currently got the front in service position (that and top hose disconnected again) with Power Steering lines still attached, and I just can't wiggle the alternator past it's mounting brackets.

Before I disconnect the PS lines and discharge the aircon to get the lock carrier completely off and out the way - has anyone done an alternator on these S4's or seen a guide anywhere or got any tips for this?

Cheers

Nick

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Here we go - one times toasted alternator - abject lesson in always always double check hose connections :-)

photo.jpg

To answer my own question - the way to get these off is:

1. Undo the two 13 mm bolts holding the alternator to the block
    2. you absolutely have to drain the coolant (as opposoed to trying to use a couple of hose clamps)
    3. Now take the radiator top hose off the rad and the hard pipe under the OS Cylinder bank - then you can move that out of the way to expose the top hose on the alternator.
    4. Remove the alternator top hose
    5. then the side hose - squeeze the clip and slide it up and onto the alternators hard pipe.
    6. After that remove the + cable clamp (13mm nut)
    7. unclip the two wire connector
    8. Wiggle it free

I've just sourced a 2nd hand Delphi alternator for 140 quid so I'm gonna take a punt on that - the Delphi's are superseded with Audi and you have to buy the Hitachi for 424 quid, plus nearly 300 quids worth of hoses to convert from a Delphi install to a Hitachi install.

I've also fried the + Lead, the 2 cable connector and a couple of short hoses - so with a bit of look I should be able to source that lot for less than £250 and it's a relatively cheap lesson in how not to f*ck things up.

2nd Gear

Status
    S**t the bed! You're lucky the whole car didn't go up in smoke

A hard lesson learnt but I bet you won't do it again!?

Good luck with the repair and remember, after double checking...check again!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by doodah View Post
    S**t the bed! You're lucky the whole car didn't go up in smoke

A hard lesson learnt but I bet you won't do it again!?

Good luck with the repair and remember, after double checking...check again!
    Yeah tell me about it. The good news is I've found 3 S4's being broken so I'm gonna pick em all for parts and get mine sorted fully. Hopefully I've found a pair of wings in the same colour as mine that aren't going rotten :-)

2nd Gear

Status
    Nice one!

Suffering the same issue with my front wings. Tried the Audi warranty route and the claims manager pointed out that both wings had been resprayed already (same on the rears too!). Just for a laugh, I went to motofix (Audi recommended) and got a quote. For both front wings replaced and blended....£900+!!!! The car only cost me 4 grand!!!

Going to try a DIY patch up in a few weeks but if that ends up looking s**t then ebay it is. Quite a few places offering sprayed panels, ready to fit for approx £120 a wing. Reluctant to scour the breakers because, like you say, they're likely all rotten too!

5th Gear

Status
    front wings again is a known problem .... bought my car from a main dealer and still couldnt get audi to accept responsibility for
    piss poor painting i will never ever buy another audi from a main dealer
    2003 pearlescent black s4 avant tiptronic - milltek exhaust - pre cats removed - remapped ...
    koni adjustable suspension front and rear
    alpine f1 dvi9990 -pxah990 headunit and processor - alpine d511r
    4 x focal 5ws midbass drivers - focal audiom 6w midrange - focal tce tweeters - velodyne df 12 sc servo controlled subwoofer
    3 x phoenix gold zpa 0.5 amplifiers