Wow!

Malfuss

Reaction score
Just picked my car up from the garage, new Bilstein B12 Sportline kit. Wow. What a difference. I know all you none FK Street coilover users will be wondering wtf I'm on about but having got rid of my dreadful coilovers the difference is like night and day. After being pretty despondent about my Audi over the last few months because of the poor handling, it feels like I've got a new car. Yes, it sits quite a bit higher and doesn't look quite as nice but as it's a daily commuter I'm not bothered. No creaks, groans or knocks from the front, no tyre rubbing at almost full lock. Just love it!

And for those wondering why I had to make this post, well, I just had to!

Creaks, groans, and knocks from the front were because you had FK's on it before hand, not because they were coilovers! ;)

But as for the Bilstein b12's, yep I agree, they are a very good bit of kit! I know as I had them on my old JDM EP3 civic type r.

What fks were they. Did they rattle from new?
Ive heard the helper srings r prone to make noises. You got spring savers on the bilsteins?

Just picked my car up from the garage, new Bilstein B12 Sportline kit. Wow. What a difference. I know all you none FK Street coilover users will be wondering wtf I'm on about but having got rid of my dreadful coilovers the difference is like night and day. After being pretty despondent about my Audi over the last few months because of the poor handling, it feels like I've got a new car. Yes, it sits quite a bit higher and doesn't look quite as nice but as it's a daily commuter I'm not bothered. No creaks, groans or knocks from the front, no tyre rubbing at almost full lock. Just love it!

And for those wondering why I had to make this post, well, I just had to!

Did you have sport or s-line suspension brfore

Any pics then?

Well it's been 3-4 weeks since I got them fitted so hopefully they are nicely settled now.

I know the wheels won't be to everyone's taste, but it saved me buying 2 new tyres for my other wheels and I was pretty skint at the time. I was unsure as to whether I would like them myself but over the past week or so they've really started growing on me so they'll do until I get a spare £1k for a new set.

What fks were they. Did they rattle from new?
Ive heard the helper srings r prone to make noises. You got spring savers on the bilsteins?

They were the cheap FK's, Street I think, about £180 for the set. They were on the car when I bought it so had hoped that they would be ok, unfortunately they were seized so I couldn't raise the ride height and they were far too low for my daily commute into work.

so they'll do until I get a spare £1k for a new set.

I'm thinking of selling my set of 19"x9.5" BBS LM reps with good tyres if they take your fancy, half the price of what you mention above too! ;)

100_0663.jpg

What a crafty hi-jack! :p

Let's do another hijack...what offset are you running there AZ? They look amazing! I might try copy that ET for my wheels.

Just buy my wheels and you'll have the desired look straight away! :p

They are ET38, no spacers, no rubbing.

I could be interested Az, what make of tyres and tread depth? also would postage to s45 be available?

hehe, I just bought my s4 wheels. If I bought another set I would almost definitely wife-less! Had I not bought the s4 wheels I could have been very tempted though, the BBS LM's are a lovely looking wheel.

I'm off to find an offset calculator now though as your wheels are 1.5" wider than mine, and I can't be bothered to figure it out manually ha!

Thanks though, and I love that this thread is full of dolphin grey avants. :D

hehe, I just bought my s4 wheels. If I bought another set I would almost definitely wife-less! Had I not bought the s4 wheels I could have been very tempted though, the BBS LM's are a lovely looking wheel.

I'm off to find an offset calculator now though as your wheels are 1.5" wider than mine, and I can't be bothered to figure it out manually ha!

Thanks though, and I love that this thread is full of dolphin grey avants. :D

Mine isn't an avant mate, it's a saloon! :)

I had genuine S4 Avus before the LM's!

Reactions: CHEZ
cheers mate, got a meeting at 1, so will reply later today.

I'm thinking of selling my set of 19"x9.5" BBS LM reps with good tyres if they take your fancy, half the price of what you mention above too! ;)

What a crafty hi-jack! :p

Nicely done :)

With regards to the wheels, how did you know 19" LM's were running second place in my wheel choices? I tried to fit my missus 18" LM reps on there but they wouldn't clear the calipers and I didn't have any spacers. I did have fun explaining to my missus why her car was sat on winters when she got back from her girly lunch!

I don't have the money at the moment but when I do I'll drop you a line, it's going to be at least a month away. Just out of interest what tyres are you running on them?

I could be interested Az, what make of tyres and tread depth? also would postage to s45 be available?

Oi, b***** off, he offered them to me first!! :moa:

(Just in case you don't see the humour, see my post above, much as I would love them I don't have the money available yet :sadlike:)

lol, I wondered if I was jumping in! by the way Malfuss, lovely looking car. I've just purchased an Dolphin grey Avant myself!

Thanks, I had a love hate relationship with it until I changed the suspension. It's all love now though.

Good man on your new purchase, Dolphin Grey is the new black!

HAHA! Start a bidding war. And AZ, you're missing out not having an avant! :moa:

Malfuss, i actually like your current wheels. Not my first choice, but they're a little different and I like them. And it's good to hear you sorted your suspension. I lowered mine recently on standard SE dampers, the other day I went out on a country road and I could hardly stop bouncing, I fear I have killed them. In the summer I'll have to upgrade them me thinks.

And I am wanting a 2.5TDI quattro this summer all being well, but finding one at all, nevermind in dolphin grey is a pain in the ****! I might just end up sticking with this and sticking some super skinny winter wheels on it next year.

Reactions: Malfuss
I'd be interested in detail of them wheels as well AZ, any pics from further away?

Ps sorry for the hijack

Well it's been 3-4 weeks since I got them fitted so hopefully they are nicely settled now.

I know the wheels won't be to everyone's taste, but it saved me buying 2 new tyres for my other wheels and I was pretty skint at the time. I was unsure as to whether I would like them myself but over the past week or so they've really started growing on me so they'll do until I get a spare £1k for a new set.

Nice m8 and glad you got the ride you wanted. I have been down the cheap coil over route and never again! It was on my wifes kiddy carrier avant to take the kids to school etc and she went ballistic!!!
So I am looking for a nice set up and this sounds like it might do well.

What rim/trye set up have you go? ET?

Might go for this with B5 perches

Just noticed you have blacked out chrome too! It took me a while to realise what was different to mine, haha! I've got some wide electricians tape that i'm going to try on my front grill temporarily. The wife thinks the chrome is staying, but as soon as I get chance it'll all go hopefully, subject to me liking the trial run of course :w00t:

Sorry Az count me out, the mrs isnt keen on lm reps. Cheers anyway. Would of loved them myself but we are a one car family, worst luck! Im sure you will have no trouble selling them on.

Last edited:
And I am wanting a 2.5TDI quattro this summer all being well, but finding one at all, nevermind in dolphin grey is a pain in the ****! I might just end up sticking with this and sticking some super skinny winter wheels on it next year.

Thanks for the feedback on the wheels, I'm surprised how much I and others like them.

I must admit I thought about changing to a 2.5 quattro this year, but realistically need the extra space of the A6 so will probably wait until I can upgrade to a newer shape A6.

I'm also on the look out for some winters, my missus runs a set on her Golf and I was surprised what a difference it made in the snow. Think a nice set of steelies would work.

What rim/trye set up have you go? ET?

Might go for this with B5 perches

I'm not sure the B5 perches will work on the Bilsteins, I seem to remember the cups are welded on. Which is a shame as even with the Sportline springs I still think it needs to go down more at the front.

Wheels are 18x8.5 ET32 front, 18x9.5 ET35 rears, 225/40r18s all round. I might try sticking some spacers on the rear, only 3-5mm just to get a little bit of poke. The fronts sit about perfect.

Just noticed you have blacked out chrome too! It took me a while to realise what was different to mine, haha! I've got some wide electricians tape that i'm going to try on my front grill temporarily. The wife thinks the chrome is staying, but as soon as I get chance it'll all go hopefully, subject to me liking the trial run of course :w00t:

Plastidip the grilles, if you don't like it, peel it off. I need to do mine, it was done in normal spray paint and it's chipped quite badly. Hopefully the weather stays good this weekend and I'll get it done. I was thinking about doing the roof rails black, but the polished alloy on the wheels almost matches them, so not sure now...

Last edited:
No getting away from how good it looked previously, rolling back from Newport on the M4 it was a sight to be seen!

Having spoken so much about the car am glad you've got it sorted Geez and I told you the wheels would work!! ;)

Looking good for a barge Geez! :p

Sorry Az count me out, the mrs isnt keen on lm reps. Cheers anyway. Would of loved them myself but we are a one car family, worst luck! Im sure you will have no trouble selling them on.

LM's>woman ;)

Thats alright mate, I thought about putting them on my wife's avant but I would hate to see them get kerbed, that would probably lead to divorce.

I'm also on the look out for some winters, my missus runs a set on her Golf and I was surprised what a difference it made in the snow. Think a nice set of steelies would work.

Ive also got a set of winter alloy wheels with proper winter tyres that I may sell, taking up space in our shed!

You got more pics of your wheels on your car? Also have u bought back your A4 you sold last year with the buckets?

Speaking of women kerbing alloys...went out to the car yesterday to find this. :( she flat denied it at first, now admits it, but blames me. Apparently I should have never bought alloys. :s

IMG_20130419_190327_zpsab81ab8f.jpg

And yeah, I'll plastidip it if I like it, but the electricians tape is even more temporary, just to see what I think as it was free rather than the cost of plastidip, which is surprisingly expensive

You got more pics of your wheels on your car? Also have u bought back your A4 you sold last year with the buckets?

Yep! I sold it about 16 months or so ago, and bought it back a couple of months ago. I kept in contact with the guy I sold it to and always asked him to let me know if he ever decided to sell it as I regretted selling it, then one night out of the blue he texted me saying it was up for sale and that was it, I sent him a deposit straight away and bought it back a few days after that. Very happy to have it back! :)

As for more pics of the wheels on the car, I took some of the wheels today for interested parties, but none from a distance to show the wheels on the car, but here are some pics I took a whole back (nothing has changed since then anyway)

100_0662.jpg

100_0672.jpg

100_0673.jpg

And a cheeky couple of the rs4 buckets as you mentioned them, would be rude not to.....

100_0683.jpg

100_0682.jpg

Oh my, them RS4 buckets get me all shaky at the knees!!! WOW.

They can help with shakey knees, just pump the electric thigh bolsters up and they'll keep them steady! ;)

Reactions: Smillie13
You're not helping my desire to sell a kidney and buy some! At least tell me they're not comfy? :D

Ah mate they're awful, they give you a back ache on even the shortest of journeys, and I just can't get a seating position that's comfortable, beginning to wish I never bought them.....

Not really, they're blooming awesome! Surprisingly very comfortable, and don't feel like your sitting in a bucket seat, well, until you pump the thigh and hip/side bolsters up and then your firmly locked in them and you ain't going anywhere! Fully pumped I can just about breath and I'm a slim jim!

Back on track, would consider the Bilstien b12's myself when I need a suspension refresh. Which is the lower set the pros or the sportlines? I'm told they are not too stiff and are ok for a a daily commute car.

Didn't want to see those RS4 seats, they look fantastic and would love a set!

I still found the B12's to be quite stiff, but they were on my old JDM EP3 civic type r so that obviously a completely different car to an A4 and far less refinedso I'd imagine them to feel a lot better on an A4. It's the same story with my KW V1 coilovers I have on my A4 now, you'd never know its on coilovers and that's even with the 19's, but when I had the KW V1's on my old Clio sport 197 they felt very firm, so I'm sure the car itself makes a difference and obviously the manufactures of the suspension apply different settings to suit.