Change of oil (manufacture) for 2.5 TDi?

Az

Hard slammed!
Reaction score
My 2.5 TDi is coming up for another service in a couple of thousand miles, it's been on a short service interval all it's life which is great, it's always had longlife oil but changed every 10k miles rather than 20k. It's on 145k now and I checked it today for cam wear (well what I could see through the oil filler hole with a bright torch) and they look pretty damn good from what I could see, a few very lightwear marks on the lobes but are just like light scratches really.

As its now approaching 150k I'm thinking of changing the Quantum oil for some Castrol Magnatec (same grade) reason being I always used to use Magnatec in previous cars and it is an excellent oil IMO, it really does stick well to top end components such as cams and valves etcand it's always seemed to of made the engine a lot quieter.

I just wanted to ask if it would be safe to use? I just worry about potentially clogging up the oil ways and oil breather pipes etc and causing the same issue the 1.8T's suffer with, but then it gets changed every 10k or less anyway so surely that shouldn't cause any problems should it?

Stick to a decent 5w40 fully syn oil mate, quantum from TPS or dealer is about 35 quid for 5L...

Well I've been using Quantum and obviously it's what Audi/VW recommend which is fine, but with the mileage creeping up to 150k now I'm wondering if the engine, or cams at least would benefit from an oil that has 'bonding' properties if like to help minimise wear on cold starts, especially with this cold snap we're currently having.

Do you not consider Castrol to be a decent brand then?

I don't think magnatec is the correct audi spec (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I use castrol edge turbo diesel 5w40 which has the 505.01 spec, the 01 being recommended for PD engines. Currently 25% off at eurocarparts

Oh right, I'll have to look into that then. I wonder if the 505.01 is what's recommended for the 2.5 TDi as well? I would look it up on opie oils website but that site runs all strange on my phone for some reason and I can only read half a page, I'll check it at home later.

I think Audi are up to 507.01 spec now but my manual states 505.01 so that's what it gets! :yes:

Yeah don't blame ya mate, surely the 507 spec is for modern VAG's tho?

Ok so I've just checked opie oils website and they state 5w30 fully synthetic for my car, but as mentioned in this thread and I've also read elsewhere that 5w40 is no problem either, in fact is imagine its probably better as it'll provide a bit more protection at higher engine temps as it'll be slightly thicker than a 5w30.

But the 5w40's and I'm sure the 5w30's that they list for my car are the same are a 502.00 and 505.00 spec, would this be alright to use if it's not .01 spec? I should really check the service book but keep forgetting when I'm in the car.

Thanks for the link mate, that's really handy to bookmark! :)

I checked my service book and it states long life oil needs to be 506.00 or 506.01 spec which is a 0w30 (bit thin for my liking really) but it doesn't state which oil to use if on a short life. My car has been serviced every 10k with the exception of 1 service interval which was about 16k IIRC, and I know the last few services have been done using Quantum long life but in short life intervals which is what my indy recommends. But I don't think you can get magnatec in that spec....

Stay away from Magnatec - aulthough it has a fairly reputable name, its still a hydrocracked mineral oil.

Use a 5-40w fully synthetic oil with good base-stocks. Preferably the best you can afford.

I believe 5-40 is more suited to the 2.5TDi as these engines like to run quite hot - at times the oil film on 0-30/5-30 oils can be too thin.
(Especially worth moving to 5-40 if driven hard/modified)

Im currently using Shell Helix Ultra 5-40 (around £28 per 5 litres from Opie oils). I have used Fuchs Race Pro S in the past - but its expensive.

I recently checked the service history on my car, the first oil change was at 32,000 miles and the 2nd at 64,000 miles!
The cams were probably doomed before the first service!

I changed my cams last year, Iv done about 30,000 miles using 5-40 fully synthetic - no signs of wear and shes running well.