Carbon wrap gear surround and ashtray- mini how to.

deanski

wax on, wax off
Reaction score
Website
www.vivalasfaces.co.uk
So this week I finally decided to do something about the horrible, scratched surround of my gearstick. The plastics in the Audi are lovely and tactile but this has the drawback of them being easily marked.

So here goes, my first attempt at wrapping. I included how to take off the surround so if you know someone with an A4, point them to this. :)

The offending item in place. Blurgh.

motoring-forum-carbon-wrap1.jpg

Pull the gear stick back and open the ash tray.

motoring-forum-carbon-wrap2.jpg

Then simply pull out the ash tray insert.

motoring-forum-carbon-wrap3.jpg

With no screws, just loads of clips, gently pull the surround and it all clips out, including the gear knob.

motoring-forum-carbon-wrap4.jpg

Push the gear stick in so it's almost inside out and you can see the clips that you need to remove below. The black ones on the inner are to release the gaitor and are plastic push outs, the silver clips are to release the chrome insert and are metal. BE AWARE! The silver clips have to be bent back but are very brittle and will snap if you move them too much.

motoring-forum-carbon-wrap5.jpg

Gaitor and stick out

motoring-forum-carbon-wrap6.jpg

Chrome insert out.

motoring-forum-carbon-wrap7.jpg

Draw a template on a piece of card. Its easier to handle than cutting around the surround and you can tape it down so it won't move. When you cut out the template, leave a little room for the wrap to tuck under. Don't do it exactly the same size as the surround or you'll have no room for error.

motoring-forum-carbon-wrap8.jpg

Then ya get's your CF wrap. In this case it's proper 3M Di-noc which cost a whopping £3.50 including delivery from Ebay.

motoring-forum-carbon-wrap9.jpg

Put the template on the wrap and cut out, and don't forget to leave some room. TBH, I left a little too much on the edge but I got away with it.

motoring-forum-carbon-wrap10.jpg

Clean and dry the surround thoroughly so the wrap will have optimum grip. I used an IPA solution. Then remove the back from the wrap, place sticky side UP on a flat surface and press the surround onto it making sure it's straight. Turn the surround over and snip the inside corners (pictured below) so they can bend and wrap around the inside. Then get a hair dryer and gently heat the wrap til it's malleable and push down and around.

You'll end up with this.

motoring-forum-carbon-wrap11.jpg

You will need to trim some out as you need to unblock the holes for the chrome insert clips. IMPORTANT- Use a very sharp craft knife and be careful. The holes for the clips are at right angles. Make sure you push the knife horizontally and not vertically or you will get a visible hole in the edge of the wrap. If you get a bubble you can push it out and don't worry if you get a crease as the Di-noc will move again if you heat it up.

Almost there. You can see the holes I needed to cut to get the chrome insert back in.

motoring-forum-carbon-wrap12.jpg

Pop the gearstick and gaitor back on and give it a smack when installing it back in the car.

Looking better.

motoring-forum-carbon-wrap13.jpg

The ashtray was a PITA. You undo the two bolts here.

motoring-forum-carbon-wrap4.jpg

and the ashtray comes free but you have to wriggle it about a little to get it out. Then to take the lid cover off you are supposedly able to slide it towards you and it slides off but mine was stuck fast. I used a plastic knife (so not to cut anything) to get between the cover and the lid and at the front of the lid there are several tabs to pop out. Sorry didn't get a pic of these. Some cars you'll have to take the climate control face off I believe. I'll be sorting the chrome out on the ashtray when I get a properly sharp knife.

motoring-forum-carbon-wrap14.jpg

Pretty pleased with that for a first effort. :) And yes I did turn the wrap so the weave would be symmetrical to the pattern on my seats. :thumb:

The ashtray tabs on top do come pop out as just done mine and it will give a more durable finish than cutting the shape out

Nice write up - See my first time also which I done in similar fashion.
I used 4D Carbon wrap.
I popped the chrome pieces out and just pushed them through the carbon.
I also trimmed with a blade all my pieces to leave no overhang.

IMG_2308.jpg

Nice Kris - that looks like proper Carbon!
Did you remove the Black piece or did you cut the carbon whilst it situ?

Thanks for the write up, its one of those items I keep meaning to get round to in the crap weather we've been having but the missus always seems to find me something else to do. This will make my life a lot easier, she can't say a lot when I already have the parts in my hands ready to wrap.

Impressive!
@Mr RobMorris - the buttons on your climate control look very fresh...have you been lucky or have you found some stick on replacements?!

Yep just done mine at the weekend the same way as Kris - also done the dash and door trim.

Nice little mod that cleans things up nicely!

..ok guys, spill the beens, where did you get your sticker kit!? :eyebrows:

They're on ebay, not sure what to search for but I can't imagine they're hard to find.

I did look & all I found where b/w ones for a single blower unit..the ones above are dual climate & coloured, so I'm still curious...!

I know this is an ageing thread but its still pretty relevant I think. I wanted to know if that funny sticky black coating stuff needs to be removed before the wrap is applied? I was intending to fill and sand the deep scratches on the door pulls and a burn near the ashtray. I thought the wrap would adhere better if the coating was removed and wondered what is best to get the stuff off? For the switch panels on the doors, I was intending to fit new switches in each as they are cheap as chips on that there ebay, and wrap the surrounds. Likewise I have ordered button stickers for the heater controls but didnt find any for the Symphony stereo.
Any thoughts guys?

Reactions: bricktop138
Oh and is the cigarette lighter bit easy to get out or is that wrapped in-situ?
I know this is an ageing thread but its still pretty relevant I think. I wanted to know if that funny sticky black coating stuff needs to be removed before the wrap is applied? I was intending to fill and sand the deep scratches on the door pulls and a burn near the ashtray. I thought the wrap would adhere better if the coating was removed and wondered what is best to get the stuff off? For the switch panels on the doors, I was intending to fit new switches in each as they are cheap as chips on that there ebay, and wrap the surrounds. Likewise I have ordered button stickers for the heater controls but didnt find any for the Symphony stereo.
Any thoughts guys?

Reactions: bricktop138 and fanta