Wheel/tyre size differences from std fit- inaccurate speedo??

trekbiker

Reaction score

I'm currently running 265/30/19 on a B6 avant , which i have been told by an experienced employee of ATS are 10mm bigger in overall circumference than the standard fit of 205/55/16 or 235/45/17 which would normally be standard fit.

these wheels were fitted by an Audi dealer from new. I have 2 questions:-

1. Would the speedo read slower than i'm actually going and by how much(is there a calculation?). would the mileage also be affected as my MPG, which i have worked out by brimming the tank against the mileage(supposedly) done?

2. Would a smaller tyre, say a 235/35/19 be better? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Any help please!

thanks Andy

So my gearing has definitely been altered. What i need to know now is the speed variation for the MM measure difference!

Well it's the same as the percentage difference in rolling diameter.
i.e. your setup is shown as out by 1.58%, so when your speedo hows a speed og 100mph you're actually doing 98.42mph. As all speedos are 4-5% out the other way anyway it will actually make the speedo more accurate.
I run 225/40/18's which gives me a 5mm increase in rolling diameter and according to my Road Angel my speedo is now only 2% out (shows faster speed than actual).
Those tyres must cost you a fortune, aquaplane city!
You'd be better off with 245/30/19 's which will be 2mm out i.e. less than the difference between new tyres and worn ones, but personally I'd go for the recommended (& cheaper) size of 225/35/19 to avoid tramlining & surfing.

Are the 265's on the front as well as the back? I've noticed that some of the US guys run 265's on the back and 225/235 on the front. They usually have 1" wider rims on the back too - 8.5" front and 9.5" back. Some even run this on Quattro and don't seem to have any problems. I bet the 265's look excellent but I'm not sure how it effects handling - how does it feel?

As Andy says - new tyres will hurt!

[ QUOTE ]
Well it's the same as the percentage difference in rolling diameter.
i.e. your setup is shown as out by 1.58%, so when your speedo hows a speed og 100mph you're actually doing 98.42mph. As all speedos are 4-5% out the other way anyway it will actually make the speedo more accurate.
I run 225/40/18's which gives me a 5mm increase in rolling diameter and according to my Road Angel my speedo is now only 2% out (shows faster speed than actual).
Those tyres must cost you a fortune, aquaplane city!
You'd be better off with 245/30/19 's which will be 2mm out i.e. less than the difference between new tyres and worn ones, but personally I'd go for the recommended (& cheaper) size of 225/35/19 to avoid tramlining & surfing.

[/ QUOTE ]

mucho gracias.. it need 2 new boots soon so i may change the lot and go for something more common and cheaper. Michi pilot sport at trade was going to be £500 a pair!. It handles Ok, but i have only had it for 2 months and we aint seen much rain here in Mk. IT seems to manage the monopoly of roundabouts here fine, though not as compliant as my TDI Q i had last year(this one's FWD)

235/35/19's i run there are about the right size fromn what I can make out speaking to a few people from various garages