TIGHTENING HANDBRAKE ON 2001 A4 1.9TDI

sornio

Reaction score
HI ALL, JUST WONDERING IF YOU CAN HELP ME WITH TIGHTENING MY HANDBRAKE.

I RECENTLY CHANGED THE PADS SO OBVIOUSLY NEED TO TIGHTENING UP A BIT, I KNOW YOU HAVE TO TAKE THE WHEELS OFF AND PUT SOME KIND OF SPACER IN SOMEWHERE. THE THING IS YOU HAVE TO DO SOMETHING WHERE THE UNDERNEATH WHERE THE HANDBRAKE IS. DO I HAVE TO TAKE THE WHOLE CENTRE CONSOLE OUT TO DO THIS, WHICH MEANS TAKING RADIO AND AIRCON UNIT OUT??

HOPE YOU CAN HELP

When you changed rear pads - did you wind the piston bore back into the caliper? You can release the brake bleed nipple at the same time and open the brake fluid reservoir cap. Check the return springs on the caliper - they're known to seize so won't take up the remaining tension on the handbrake. Check these first before trying to adjust the cable.

With the pistons screwed in on both sides - then self adjust them by applying the handbrake a few times. Should be a lot tighter.
AudiWorld Tech Articles

Hi thanks for the reply,well i managed to get to the release button under the handbrake without takin console off, but found a problem at the brake itself. Yeh i checked the return springs and oiled them up, but one side is still not returning properly,bout 5-10mm space, it really sounds like the cable is catching sumwhere,well i actually do no this as i took the cable of and the arm completely return itself,so spring is fine. I guess its time for a new cable, which definately does mean taking the whole centre console off ***. This is my first audi, and they dnt seem to make things easy!!

You would not be able to fit new pads if the piston is still sticking out.

From looking at elsawin the adjustment can only be done with the center console remove, it also quotes the the following.

The rear brakes are self-adjusting, so the handbrake does not require adjustment in normal operation. Re-adjustment is only necessary after renewing handbrake cables, brake calipers, brake pads or brake discs.

Also switch CAPS LOCK off...