Hi, new Avant SE owner with a gaggle of niggles..

bagel64

Reaction score
Hi to All,

I've been on several forums & found them huge sources of info, so here's hoping this one is just the same!
So I now have an 03 SE estate, FSH, 113K. As with most new cars I have found a series of niggles, I realise some maybe easy fixes and some may not. The following is my questions/issues list.
  1. Many of the heater/radio window buttons have their images worn off, I'm guessing this is common but is there fix? All work just looks tatty..
  2. Boot lid rarely opens with the handle & never with the remote - Ive already read about solenoid actuators ( I can hear it clunking) but how do you get the rear cover panel off without wrecking the lugs? Any ideas about the boot remote not working( new batteries btw) Also the plastic sprung plate over the catch in the boot lip cover is broken. Is this important? can it be independently replaced or do I have to buy a whole lip section?
  3. ABS/ESP light comes on intermittanly ( oh I hate that phrase!) sometime shows on start up & stays. Drive down the road, stop, re start & its gone out..so other than '...plug it in, see what it says' are there other 'visual' diy checks you can do?
  4. Currently on 16" rims/tyres - bit of a fantasy idea at the moment but do 18" fill the wheel arch gaps without coilovers (?!) and does this effect mpg/handling/gearing etc?
  5. Just emptied the plennum tray/bungs..(does everyone else have to climb on the engine to take the battery out or didnt I have enough weetabix..!) passenger carpet is wet. Now I had a similar issue with a polo, when I hoofed the carpet up, the trim never really went back properly & the carpet was always rucked up...now I dont want the same to happen to my B6!...so any tips?!
  6. Well thats all my whining out for one day, I look forward to the pearls of wisdom!

Greetings.
  1. No fix. Some people have got arty and drawn their own icons.
  2. The remote: you have to hold it down for 1-2 seconds before it pops (on the Avant at least).
  3. Most common is a faulty wheel sensor but VCDS will tell you.
  4. Eighteens fit (19s do too). I have an S4 on 18s so the suspension is different but the rears sit quite nicely but the front arches are different and the gap is a little too big. A popular mod is to get the suspension perches for a B5 which drops the front down by about 15 mm.
  5. No idea.

My 03 Avant sport has the same issues with the lights. The garage have had it 3 times and failed to sort it so it's going back again and they said they'll need it for a week to send off a module for repair. It's the garage I got the car from, not an Audi garage. I have 18s on mine and they fill the rear arches nicely but leave a bigger gap at the front, still looks good though.

As above. 18's will fit, but to be honest they'll look at bit poop unless it's lowered. Especially since you have se suspension, which makes them look like an all road. Mine is an se, but I lowered it 40mm at the rear and about 50mm upfront with the b5 perches previously mentioned.

Before:
IMG_20121228_100812.jpg

After:
IMG_20130304_085426_zps67f6833e.jpg

Yes, the battery is heavy and in an awkward spot. I ate an extra weetabix that day and was fine though.

And finally, it's not an estate...it's an avant! :p the audi marketing bods didn't spend years making up a Gay term for it not to be used haha.

Ah, yes - that is high.

Here's mine when I first bought it. As you can see, the standard S4 is quite a bit lower than an A4.

P1070097

Reactions: audilad9
I think the s4 will be the same as the sport, and 20mm lower than se. If I had a sport I might not have lowered it, but the all road stance had to go ha...much to the distaste of the wife who now moans about speedbumps.

By the way, I love the s4 in that colour, it looks ace. What fuel consumption do you get? My brother in law is after one and trying to get real consumption figures. (sorry for off topic)

By the way, I love the s4 in that colour, it looks ace. What fuel consumption do you get? My brother in law is after one and trying to get real consumption figures. (sorry for off topic)

It depends upon one's journeys and how often one makes them. My drive to and from work has a lot of junctions and lasts about 20 minutes so I only get 16-18 MPG but then sustained cruises (b-roads, a-roads, motorways) get 24-25 MPG (more for autos).

Despite it being my daily driver I only do 5-6k miles a year so it's not too bad. It's not the most economical way to get 350-400 BHP (that would probably be an Impreza) but I don't think the combination of power, luxury and practicality can be beaten anywhere near the price level.

Photos don't do Goodwood Green justice.

Reactions: audilad9
Welcome to the forum.

2/ To get the tailgate interior trim off, lever it at intervals, don't simply haul it or you'll break the plastic clips. Start at the base and work up. I have the B5 avant, but B6 should be almost identical. Double-check if there's a Philips screw hidden near the interior handle. Not sure if that's simply to secure the plastic handle or the trim. The plastic sprung plate isn't crucial, more cosmetic. Don't even think about paying Audi new trim prices - try Car Parts Direct From Breakeryard | Buy Used Car Spares & Auto Parts With the trim off you can take a closer look at the actuator to ensure it's pulling the lock levers.

3/ As suggested, more than likely an ABS sensor. If ABS was kicking in then it could be reluctor ring on the rear - which are known to crack. Get the codes read to give you a location.

5/ When you remove the rubber bungs, either remove them completely, or trim the tube part down. I washed the plenum area with soapy water then rinsed it out. The battery is heavy, but if you protect the passenger wing with a towel, then you can lean over to lever it out. No reason to get into the engine bay!

You need to dry the passenger carpet out as under the csrpet is a void containing the comfort module that controls all the central locking,widows that kind of stuff. This will be full of water that has leaked in, quite expensive if it gets water damaged. Lift the carpet and dry asap

I started with the All road looking SE spec Avant picked it up end of August last year with the intention of just neatening it up.....

That idea didn't last long at all....

STOCK SE 18's not lowered (not the best look)

20121030_133027.jpg

18's and lowered looks good:

20130206_143917_zpsa7206079.jpg

But 19's lowered looks better:

20130307_065443_zpsbce1b913.jpg

You know it makes sense....

Heater button issue there was a set of stickers being sold on ebay that a few people on here tried with success.

ABS/ESP issue there is only the rings that you can take a look at to see if there is any issues with broken rings and things other than that it will need to plugged in.

As long as you keep the rolling radius of the tyres the same when upping the size of the wheels than it should behave the same MPG/accelerating wise.

Removing the bungs completely is the best way to go to stop build up of water issue

Thanks for the updated response lads, as suspected lots of knowledge here, appreciated.

Right just spent the last 30mins trying NOT to break the the clips on the tailgate cover that hide the boot release...they just seemed super tight & when looking through the gap I could see what looked like fixed end caps on the heads of the fixing dowels..the ones that just snap off when you hoof them...so how do you do it?
Also I asked earlier, another 'how'...do you get the passenger side trim & then carpet up, to dry the base after aforementioned plennum soaking..?!
These may sound like simple 'just pull them up/off' answers but Ive done that before & ended up with bad fitting carpets & rattling boots forever...

Thanks for that. Glad to hear others struggle..! Any pointers about the front passenger carpet/pillar trim issue?

Thanks for that. Glad to hear others struggle..! Any pointers about the front passenger carpet/pillar trim issue?

Still wondering how to do this with minimum damage to either, following the usual plenum bung problems? does the trim 'pop' off as I cant see any obvious screws..

A mate plugged his fault reader in to my car which showed the fault I have that displays the same light was the front right and rear left ABS sensors. I'm not sure why the garage say they need the car for a week to send off the ABS module unless that could give the same fault code. They are paying for it and giving me a courtesy car so I'm not too fussed!
My avant is a sport and looks great on the 18 inch 9 spokes. The wheels and interior are what made me get the car.

'Twas a little strange the other day regarding ABS light etc..after working out how to remove the pillar trim ( prise of glove box end piece, prise up door opening trim & slide out, pop out seat runner covers, unbolt seat & pull up carpet, which is stiff, I choked it underneath with cardboard & then use a hairdryer to dry out loom & carpet...) so after hairdrying the pasenger under carpet area & replacing the boot release sensor, the flipping ABS light went out!...for 2 days, then heavy rain & lights on again!! oh & last night a front light blew..I know that ultimatley she's going to be plugged intoa diagnostic but has anyone else had the 'heavy rain/ABS light on' problem & if so what was the outcome?

RE

3. I have this issue. Had it for ages. Decides to pop up now and again. Never causes an issue.
4. I have RS6 19"s on mine so u shouldnt have a problem