2.5TDI Glow plugs replaced

JasonS

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
My Cab has been reluctant to start in the cold recently and has been producing clouds of white smoke.
It has started every time, but I suspected the Glow Plugs needed refreshing.

I sprayed on some penetrating oil on Friday, then again on Saturday when I dismantled enough to get good access to the plugs. I had read about them breaking, so took it slowly and carefully. They were all very tight, but came out successfully. I had a bit of trouble getting one back in.. It didn't want to screw into the thread, I ended up screwing one of the old ones back in and out before the new one would go in.

I cleaned out the inlet pipe as well, I didn't have the time to clean the manifolds and EGR valve, I'll maybe get to that another time.

My wife came out with a cup of tea and I showed her the sooty gunk in the pipes. She said I shouldn't expect an improvement as the kettle gets scale in it and that doesn't stop it from working.

It's been flipping cold and with the new plugs it starts immediately with no smoke, so I'm very pleased. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363043346285330
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363043358347612

Lucky git - I done the same the weekend and made no improvment on the starting!
Ive a new temp sensor on the way with fingers crossed..

Mine has started well since it was retimed by Adamms24(Chris) but I think I would test the plugs before thinking of changing them.CTS should help

I changed my plugs a few months ago after similar issues - all of mine were dead! - I made sure I copper greased the thread on the new ones if I need to change them again in the future.