EM TuningChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

Fk coilovers fitted now getting knocking noise

Can anyone me? I fitted some Fk coilovers on my A4 B6 saloon, getting a fast knocking noise over small bumps and rough roads. I can't find any play on the front suspension joints. When fitting the suspension I did not replace the top mounts as they looked Ok.
    It does sound like it is coming from the top mount area when inside the vehicle.
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    I've got the exact same issue/noise with my Tein coilovers on my A4 B6 saloon too,two local garages couldn't sort it out,still looking for a solution as the noise is making my head in.
    Thanks

5th Gear

Status
    Check your ball joints on the suspension arms - I found the same when I fitted coilovers, it exaggerates any noises as the suspension is stiffer - my knocking turned out to be one of the upper arm ball joints.

2002 A4 Avant Quattro Sport 2.5 V6 TDi - 219Bhp - Votex
    BCS Automotive Turbo-Back - Remap -
    19" RS6 Reps - B6 S4 Brakes - Symphony II+
    - Weitec GT
    - 2001 Honda CBR600-FS1 -

Rockin' Shnit

Status
    Ive just got home from fittin my coilovers..... I never want to see an audi suspension setup again! What a pig that was! I noticed the samw in my way home but just very slight knockim noises as you stated, only at slow speeds. Front suspension is sitting too low but rear is perfect gona wind the front up 10mm tomorrow cos im sick as a chip now after the day of torment ive had
    blacksmoke remap, 18" alloys, coilovers, heko wind deflectors, c/coded door blades, DIS, Cruise, votex front grille
    TO DO: fit my votex front valance (in the shed), c/code the rest of the lowers, sport interior

2nd Gear

Status
    I have same too, i am going to remove the suspension and use some of the rubbers from old shocks and use them on the new!
    It could alos be the top nut on the shock not tightened up enough! Will have to tighten everything up and if doesnt work take back off and look for any signs of marks or rubbing on anything!
    2004 audi a4 s line 1.8t bex 242bhp dynoed
    Mods: bsr optiflow kit, forge diverter valve, custom turbo back exhaust, custom 200 cell cat, DGR coilovers, forge tip, s3/tt 386cc injectors, boost gauge, revo stage 2, 12mm rear spacers, rear window extension spoiler
    To come: big brake setup... Getting there!!
    boats and hoesss, boats and hoesss

Dirty Diesel ♥

Status

My Social Networking

Follow crazyjay91 On Twitter
    Hi, I'm looking at ordering coilovers soon.. Do you need to fit shorter drop links? Thanksssss!

czm
    1st Gear

Status
    Yep I get a knock at slow speed with my TEIN coilovers.

Never been able to figure it out?

It must be something related to ball joints ect as I have checked the coilover installation a dozen times and still doing it.
    2004 BEX 1.8T Silver Avant - RTECH Stage 1 Remap - 211Bhp/236ft Torque
    TEIN Super Street Coilovers - BlueFlame Catback with 4'' Slashed/Rolled Tips
    Pipercross AirFilter- RS6 18'' OEM's - 225.35.15 Falken 452

Pro Tinkerer

Status
    ARB bushes might be worth a change for what they cost. I was getting a knocking mainly at low speeds on the bora, and that was the ARB bushes.
    Made on the red side of Manchester

Reverse Gear

Status
    I'm getting the same with mine

B6 A4 avante

ever since fitting the coilies - but only on the front left - the front right seems fine

I've since taken apart the suspension and fitted new top mounts - still there

So I then replaced all upper and lower arms, new track rod and C link drop link - its still there - after doing the arms and ball joints its quieter, but still there - only on lower speeds and only on smaller bumps - its driving me insane - makes me hate driving it..

Has anyone cured it yet - I'm so tempted to bin the coilies (FK Streets) and put on standard shocks with -30mm lowering springs..

czm
    1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lawsy View Post
    I'm getting the same with mine

B6 A4 avante

ever since fitting the coilies - but only on the front left - the front right seems fine

I've since taken apart the suspension and fitted new top mounts - still there

So I then replaced all upper and lower arms, new track rod and C link drop link - its still there - after doing the arms and ball joints its quieter, but still there - only on lower speeds and only on smaller bumps - its driving me insane - makes me hate driving it..

Has anyone cured it yet - I'm so tempted to bin the coilies (FK Streets) and put on standard shocks with -30mm lowering springs..
    I know what you mean m8, its driving me nuts.

The only other things it could be is the top rubber mounts (did you use the original OEM ones or did you replace?) or the top strut nut needs to be tighter.

I am hopefully going to check these this weekend.

Let me know if you get any joy
    2004 BEX 1.8T Silver Avant - RTECH Stage 1 Remap - 211Bhp/236ft Torque
    TEIN Super Street Coilovers - BlueFlame Catback with 4'' Slashed/Rolled Tips
    Pipercross AirFilter- RS6 18'' OEM's - 225.35.15 Falken 452

different gear

Status
    Coilovers!!!!
    Yep,in same boat as the rest of you guys. It has to be the same solution for all of us.

What the hell is it...?
    A4 avant b6.1.9 avf 6 speed. Bv43 turbo.uprated fmic. More bhp custom map. Powerflow straight through twin pipes. Allard delete kit. Boost,egt, + voltage gauges. Ball,spring boost controller. Fk silversport coilovers. 312mm brake upgrade. B7 multifunc steering wheel. Full dis. Cruise control. Auto locks. Rs4 rear bumper. Full rs4 grills. Drls + hids. 10inch custom sub + amp. Rear parking sensors. Leds everywhere. Parrotkit full speaker streaming. silver 4d carbon interior.never ending...

3rd Gear

Status
    Yup i have the same problem.

I figured out that turning up the volume of my music stopped it!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie-B View Post
    Ive just got home from fittin my coilovers..... I never want to see an audi suspension setup again! What a pig that was! I noticed the samw in my way home but just very slight knockim noises as you stated, only at slow speeds. Front suspension is sitting too low but rear is perfect gona wind the front up 10mm tomorrow cos im sick as a chip now after the day of torment ive had
    I thought it was hard to do too until I did it this way.. Undo drop link from roll bar then under the bonnet undo the lower bolt from strut then undo the 3 bolts under the bonnet that hold the top half of the strut undoing this will let you undo the to bolts that hold the top arms ..once you've done this all you have to do it push down on the lower arm and the strut will be able to come out