HID bulbs in main beams.

quattrojames

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm considering this as I've not found any halogen bulbs which come close to my HID's. I'm aware of the potential shortfall's, but am wondering if anyone has actually done it and able to offer up their experiences?

The biggest issue with having hids as main beams is that they don't tend to ignite as quickly as conventional bulbs. The lives of the bulbs will be reduced also. I know you said you were aware of the pitfalls but thought I'd mention it anyway :)

The biggest issue with having hids as main beams is that they don't tend to ignite as quickly as conventional bulbs. The lives of the bulbs will be reduced also. I know you said you were aware of the pitfalls but thought I'd mention it anyway :)

Not aware of the ignition time of the hids.
Flashing people could be an issue I guess.

Lol thanks, I'm aware of them, but I'm hoping to hear from someone who has actually tried it. I think there's a couple on here who have.

I tried it in my old MG ZS and didn't like it. They were so bright that the light reflecting off road signs was pretty dazzling! The time they took to warm up wasn't too bad from what I remember (but it was years ago I did this). I only tried them once then swapped them back to halogens. They may be different in an A4 but I didn't like them in the ZS.

I thought it was you, but I couldn't be sure after you changed your username...

I posted this in March 10:

I've seen this done a lot on Audizine, and will be interested to hear how an HID bulb performs as a main beam bulb for the reasons mentioned by Woorlord.

I really ought to try and progress my mods quicker...!

I have them in high beam and they are great no issues at all

As has been said they do take a few seconds to warm up

I've got a spare set of hid's. I might try this at the weekend if I get time.

and perhaps try to post a vid of them working.

Reactions: ScottD3
Now I'm on my pc I would just like to point out a few things

go for 4300/4700k as close to white as possible mine are 6000k and are way too blue and because they are bright you get a bit of light bounce back which can make you strain your eyes more and it can make you more tired!!

saying that though I have never had a problem I just thought I would point it out

oh and they are really really bright you can see for miles mine even drown out oncoming cars light round corners and can catch you out when they appear!!

I have a set of 4300k now, (the same as my dips) from the group buy Trups did. I'll get them fitted soon and update how I find them. Two things are worrying me still:
1. Warm up time.
2. Glareback from roadsigns etc.

you do get a bit of glare back but its nothing to write home about

and yeah they do take a few seconds to warm up too

Fitted these today. I also swapped the lights for a set of joey modded ones I bought off MattyboyC. Here's the dipped and main HID's being put in:

Halfway through:

The alignment isn't 100% yet, but it's quite close... Dipped beams....

vs Main beams.....

... and a shaky phone pic my wife took!

One of my concerns was the time it would take for the HID bulb to warm up to it's maximum brightness, it's probably 2-3 seconds before full brightness, but useable brightness is virtually instant. Not the best video, but you get the idea...

[ytv]w9PTkMfqoEY[/ytv]

... and this is the headlight flash, from cold. The instant light is blinding, as per HID's when they flash and then it drops off, but it's certainly a very noticeable flash!

[ytv]loSWptUOx2s[/ytv]

They look good James, just when i was loosing interest in the car there's another mod i can do ;-)
matt

... and a shaky phone pic my wife took!

;) you tell us that someone else took that pic, we'll believe you!

Loving the joey mod headlights too, I've got a spare set of knackered ones in my loft from when the wide had a front end and wrecked them. They're begging to be taken apart for testing purposes to hone my technique.

I must get round to this, but the weather has been absolutely awful here which doesn't really help you to get motivated to do anything...